+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new to tying

Thumbs up

Hi mudflaper,

Welcome to the addiction. All of the advice above are excellent. I learned a ton from Al Campbell series on the main board. I only wish Al was still with us today. Al emphasis is on tying techniques. One of the best advice he gave me was to go and seek others who tie. So I did and it turbo charged my learning. Also, the folks here are more than willing to help and that is a boost that will propel your tying as well so ask question often.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Smile

I recommend getting a good rotary vice right at the start. I know that most often when this question comes up here on faol the majority of folks will tell you that smart thing is to start with a more inexpensive vice, then see if you really like tying before spending more bux on a better outfit.
    My opinion is you should start right off with something better. In the range of about a $150.00 vice. Pick a pattern that you like and buy the specific materials you need to tie it. The rest of the hardware needed for tying you can pick up one thing at a time. A vice, a cheap bobbin or two, and some hooks is all that are needed to get started.
    I search the web for free videos that have step by step instructions on tying a particular fly. They are not hard to find and usually have excellent tiers.
    It is a dark road my friend, one that once started down will lead you deeper and deeper into complete absorbsion in this fascinating hobby.
    I started to tie because I figured that I would save money on flies. In the background I hear thousands of voices laughing their collective butts off.
    It is a great hobby. You will not save money but you will discover that this close cousin to fly fishing can be just as satisfying in its own way as fishing is. If your fishing season is cut off each year by colder temperatures, fly tying can be a good alternative to actually getting out there.
    Welcome to the club bye the way.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

My experience is different than Gnu Bee's
    I too started tying to save money and it's worked for me.
    I don't tie for fun, I only tie what I'll use, and I only buy materials that I need.
    I've tied all my own flies for over 30 years and I've already collected enough materials to last several lifetimes so I'm not tempted to buy all the new "latest things".
    I still tie on the old Thompson A vice (around $25 at the time) that I've used for 20 years. Now and then I think getting a rotary but I do fine with what I've got
    Just my $.02
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

You?ve gotten great advice

Lessons will take years off your learning curve and get you off to a great start. Your local shop, FFF, or the Denver and West Denver Trout Unlimited Chapters are places to check out for classes.

FAOL- the beginners tying sequence, browse past threads in this forum, and post your questions here as they come up for lot?s of helpful info.

Buy what you need for one pattern at a time, and tie a bunch till you?ve got it down before you move onto the next pattern. Each of the beginners patterns you?ll learn will teach you techniques to tie a ?style? of fly, and you can fill up a whole flybox just by varying sizes and colors and small changes in materials.

Browse YouTube if you have a fast internet connection to see fly tying demos, and to learn techniques like making a whip finish (to tie off thread after you finish a fly).

Book- Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris is a great one to have. Buy or get from the library, the spiral bound one so it lays flat and open on your tying desk.

Equipment and materials- Don?t know what you have now, but if you bought an inexpensive kit with vise etc. I?d recommend using it for awhile before upgrading. Go to some classes, tie a few flies, and maybe try out some of the other folks vises. This way, if you decide to upgrade, you?ll have a sense of what to look for and what will work for you?.if you don?t have a vise or tools yet, ask away here. Just throw out a general budget I?m sure folks will give you a range of options that you?ll be happy with to get you started, and there are some past threads on the board addressing this to check out too.

Good luck!

peregrines

Mudflaper;
    WarenP.'s advice on the "pattern kits", is a good one.
    I've used these in teaching classes, and they've worked out very well because everyone had the same, amounts and types of materials, hooks, etc. Very good pictures to follow, so they could work at their own pace and even a fly, already tied, to compare their work to.
    Here's a description of a basic kit set up, followed by a link where they can be purchased if you care to buy on line.
    Many fly shops carry these kits, also, and as Warren noted "Under various names".
    (quote)
    Bob Henley's TIE-A-FLY kits are excellent 'how to' kits for fly tiers looking to expand their fly tying skills for specific patterns. Each of the Bob Henley's TIE-A-FLY kits includes a professionally tied pattern for use as a model, 12 hooks of various sizes and the appropriate material to complete the flies. (For example the Hare's Ear pattern would contain: Gold tinsel lead wire cut and sized, brown rooster hackle, Turkey feather and a spool of black thread, Four #12 hooks, Four #14 hooks, Four #16 hooks and detailed tying instructions.

http://wetfly.net/bobheti.html
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Mudflaper;
    WarenP.'s advice on the "pattern kits", is a good one.
    I've used these in teaching classes, and they've worked out very well because everyone had the same, amounts and types of materials, hooks, etc. Very good pictures to follow, so they could work at their own pace and even a fly, already tied, to compare their work to.
    Here's a description of a basic kit set up, followed by a link where they can be purchased if you care to buy on line.
    Many fly shops carry these kits, also, and as Warren noted "Under various names".
    (quote)
    Bob Henley's TIE-A-FLY kits are excellent 'how to' kits for fly tiers looking to expand their fly tying skills for specific patterns. Each of the Bob Henley's TIE-A-FLY kits includes a professionally tied pattern for use as a model, 12 hooks of various sizes and the appropriate material to complete the flies. (For example the Hare's Ear pattern would contain: Gold tinsel lead wire cut and sized, brown rooster hackle, Turkey feather and a spool of black thread, Four #12 hooks, Four #14 hooks, Four #16 hooks and detailed tying instructions.

http://wetfly.net/bobheti.html
    Great idea as I am having a hard time with the woolly bugger yes I know it is supposed to be an easy tie but......... having trouble with the hackle so I am ordering the kit.

Thanks for the link.
    Remember we all live down stream

like others have said, taking a few classes will help. The reason I say this, you learn certain techniques of tying material in, tying flies etc. that you don't get from step by step instructions. But I also suggest taking advantage of this sites instructions as well as other step-by-step websites available. Each tier has their own technique with certain steps, and trying these out will help you find the easiest way for you to complete a fly. Just because one person does it one way, doesn't mean it will work for you, so experiment with things and get comfortable. Many trout clubs have weekly tying gatherings, and this can also be a great way to get advice and such.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by idabelangler View Post
    Being new at tying I took this advice and just tied the EZ Nymph ( Pheasant Tail ) and I must say it turned out fantastic. Very easy to tie with Al's great instructions. It really got me excited!
    Remember we all live down stream

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Smile Lesson First

I have to go with the flow on this one. A couple of relatively cheap lessons in your local fly shop with take months off your learning curve. My local shop gives lessons to four or five people every Saturday morning and every student ends up tying some pretty respectable Woolly Buggers and Gold-ribbed Hare's ear nymphs before noon. If you can't find a local instructor, there are some excellent books available. Both Orvis and LL Bean have good beginner books. Randel Kaufmann, Skip Morris and Jim Schollmeyer also have some great full-color, step by step books. Since you are new to tying, I would recommend that you start tying nymphs first. They are great fish catchers, they require less and cheaper materials and they are easier to tie. The main thing is to go for it and have fun. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by idabelangler View Post
    For the most part I learned the same way.

Skip

+ Reply to Thread