+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pflueger Gem VS Medalist

Blog Entries

Question Pflueger Gem VS Medalist

I was looking on the net and saw a Pflueger Gem for sale.
    It looks like a medalist. What is the difference?

Eric

following your question I looked on the 'net and saw three. Only one showed the line guide, which appeared to be about 1/2 the size of a Medalist. The reels for sale are quite old and judging by the price are for collectors (two or three modern Mealalists [don't start with where they are made] would add up to the same as the price of the Gem. As for use, I wonder how the spool on the Gem is removed, not with a simple push/click like on most current reels. I bet the spool is bolted wherein you need to twist (untwist) something several revolutions. Interesting though, I have never seen one before even in photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    I was looking on the net and saw a Pflueger Gem for sale.
    It looks like a medalist. What is the difference?

Eric
    Hey Eric,

If the GEM 2094 had a round plastic spool latch cover like the Medalist 1494, you'd hardly be able to tell the difference between the two models!

Up until recently, they've been mostly over looked, Shhhhhhhh!. Their built with the same great quality construction as the Medalists. These reels are built like tanks and are very sweet reels. They balance out bamboo and fiberglass rods way better than the newer ultra ported lightweight reels being produced today. Plus they just have a great Vintage look and feel to them.

Due to the square Diamolite line guide placement they are RHW Only! So, if you reel Right handed, you can get a vintage Pflueger GEM 2094 for a pretty good price.

The GEM 2094's measure 3 3/16" diameter x 3/4" spool width and have the Square Diamolite Line Guard just like the Pflueger 1494's. They have really nice Tan/Brown Marbled handles, also like the 1494's. The reel frames and spools are are Black in color

Here's a couple shots of one I just recently sold to another board member. Please excuse the blurry photos, there just for reference for those that don't know what a Pflueger GEM 2094 looks like.

I've had several of them over the years and like them very much. You won't be disappointed in the reel whatsoever, just look for one with most of it's paint still intact. And yes! They're really starting to get noticed by collectors, it's about time!

The spool removes by unscrewing the fastener in the center of the spool, verses the Medalist which has a push button latch release. You can use a Nickel or other coin to loosen the center screw on the GEM. Just don't do it while standing in the middle of the river!

The reels ooze quality, from the time you pick them up you'll notice there not a cheaply made reel.

Remember these are vintage reels, but with a good cleaning and proper lubrication, they should outlast you and your kids!

Terry

Never had the privilege of owning a Gem, but the Medalists and Orvis versions are "tanks". A simple and very solid reel, and a real nice purring sound when the line is going out.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great information, you told me everything I need to know. this one will probably will go out of my price range, but if I see one at a garage sale I will know what it is.

Eric

The Medalist has the clutch/ratchet drag. (after 1937?)
    The GEM has the click/pawl drag
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread