+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canoe colors?

Default Canoe colors?

What colors do you prefer for your canoe? Light colored or dark colored? Specific colors and why? Are some colors more stealthy for fishing purposes? Thanks.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Default Re: Canoe colors?

Over the years mine have been silver, orange (bleached out Coleman red), blue, and red. I have to admit that either dark red or dark green with wood trim best satisfies my esthetic sense. I am not aware of difference in scaring fish away. I guess I have caught more fish as I have progress through the colors, but I hope that has to do with developing skill instead of paint jobs.

One minor point to consider. The kayak people are often concerned about boat color and the ability to detect people in trouble from a distance - either from the water or from the air. They like to suggest colors like yellow or red which are more easily spotted than blue or white. This might be worth considering if you are headed to a place where rescue might be needed.

All canoes are wonderful (even my old Coleman was) and I doubt that the color will lessen your enjoyment.

David

Blog Entries

Default Re: Canoe colors?

mine is green, color it was when purchased, I would look at the water I am fishing/boating, IE if I was using my canoe on the local rivers where the power boats play, I would paint it bright orange or yellow for visibility. as I use it on ponds where gas motors arnt allowed the green is fine.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    mine is green, color it was when purchased, I would look at the water I am fishing/boating, IE if I was using my canoe on the local rivers where the power boats play, I would paint it bright orange or yellow for visibility. as I use it on ponds where gas motors arnt allowed the green is fine.

Eric
    I agree. I have a blue canoe and it was my primary boat. Ski boats got close to it, mostly because they didn't see me. When I switched to a kayak, I got a bright orange one, never had any similar problems. I was concerned that it would scare the fish off, but after I had two big reds tail under my boat in gin clear water, I knew it was OK. I also avoid browns and greens because I believe gators see them as something natural - a yellow kayak can't be mistaken for an alligator's rival.

With paddle craft, the color shirt you wear has more effect than the color boat...at least to the fish.

My canoe use to be red... now its a kinda algae/filth color
    I could call it camo I guess
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Talking

This is the winter color of my canoe as it hangs from the garage ceiling:

Here's my favorite color of a canoe...FISHY Colors!

Yes, that's my spinning rod I built this summer, and IT WORKS!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler View Post
    What colors do you prefer for your canoe?
    My choices were red and green for the Old Town Guide series I own. I was going to get the red one. My friend asked why? I told him that if I capsized in open deeper waters I could be spotted.

He said get the green one. When I asked him why he simply said that I'd be able to hide from the government a little easier.

I own a green one.

No matter which color you select for the purpose of increasing stealthiness, once your canoe is on the water the ever-changing background will help conceal you at times...and highlight you at times. (Whether by color contrast or silhouetting.)

Probably your boat's movement, accidental noise generation and your body's high profile while seated in the boat are factors more relevant to spooking, or not spooking, nearby fish.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

I've had a variation of colors for my canoes over the years and they have all been so-so. What I have now for my Raddison aluminum canoe/boat is old G.I. olive drab. Blends in good with the background and is easy to maintain and touch-up.

But for my pride and joy, the wood/canvas canoe, is a tutone ... a yellowish beige on top and a chocolate brown for the bottom. Don't care what the fish think of it, I love the color combination; AND ... it's a great attention getter anytime I launch it.

Dale

Blog Entries

Mine is aluminum color, oxidized a bit so it is not so shiny. Given a choice, I would get one in a good brown camo, maybe shadowgrass....

DG

+ Reply to Thread