Default Warm water this week

Hi Joe, ... What an excellent read:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/warmwater/

Thanks!
    Christopher Chin

Default Re: Warm water this week

Agreed, a fine read indeed.

Thanks, guys! I'm still using the double-haul cast quite often. It's trickier when fishing from my canoe, but even a little bit of that extra "oomph" comes in handy.

Cool story you did, too, Chris. Considering all the glaciers that have scoured southward across Canada in ice ages past, I assumed Quebec would be relatively flat by now? The photos you embedded in your story put a stop to my misconception about that. You sure do live in beautiful country!

A couple of years ago I read a book called "Fishing for the Big Three" by Ted Williams (the baseball player). He rated the Atlantic salmon the best gamefish of them all.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Joe,

Great read and that feeling of impending doom is one I can identify with. Happens everytime JC or LF watches me cast.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Yeah, JC needs to get himself a new costume, one that totally camouflages his identity so we nimrods don't freeze up with stage fright!

Maybe a beat-up straw hat and a pair of filthy denim suspenders with one shoulder strap broken? A pair of knee-high rubber boots, like the ones muskrat trappers wear? Let his beard grow out. Wear mirrored sunglasses. Disguise his voice.

Anything, anything to help reduce our terror.

Blog Entries

Joe's take on casting for Castwell is spot on .
    I actually avoided going to my first fish-in because I was worried about having to cast and be critiqued by all the good casters I was sure would show up at the affair. I figured someone would pressure me to cast and then everybody would have a good laugh. Not so! When I first showed up several people said to the group at large, If anyone needs help with their casting I will help. People began lining up and soon began an informal session with all of us casting. We tried out each others rods learning to covet. We watched one of the best trying out some different lines and giving his opinion of each. We gnubee's stood around getting tips and learning tons of stuff. It was all really quite a lot of fun.

Castwell and Ladyfisher arrived in camp the next day. After greetings
    and meetings were dispenced they each offered help to those who wanted it. I jumped at the chance. Soon I was being shown several easy ways to improve my cast one step at a time . These two know how to teach with minimum pressure. Jim stepped up after I was finished casting with Deanna and offered me a simple tip which improved my distance by 10 feet instantly.

During the entire fish- in not once did anyone pressure me in the slightest to cast. It was then I realised that missing my first fish in because of embarassment concerns had been rather foolish. The next year just like Joe Hyde said, one of My main reasons for travelling 1100 kilometers to the fish-in was so I could once again stand in front of Jim & Deanna to get more help with my cast. Believe me if you don't ask for help no one will try to press you to do so. The whole thing is a blast not to be missed.
    Just watching Jim standing around shivering his butt off in that goofy outfit is easily worth the price of admission..

Sorry Jim, it was there, I had to use it.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Joe,

That really was a very good article. I could relate to most of it as, "been there, done that" and, unfortunately, still am!!

Keep up the great articles because I always look forward to your adventures.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Joe,

Great article, and i am now convinced I need to attend a fish-in. The fear of fishing and casting with "pros" is something I have thought about, but now I can't wait for critiques and instruction..

Thanks
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by fcch

Thanks!

I agree. Joe you are a braver man than I. Casting in front of all those folks. Especially with the grand pooh bah and mrs grand pooh bah looking on.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave
    Quote Originally Posted by fcch

Thanks!

I agree. Joe you are a braver man than I. Casting in front of all those folks. Especially with the grand pooh bah and mrs grand pooh bah looking on.

The Grand Poobah and Mrs. Grand Poohbah are both very nice people. Thanks to Superman, I can now cast equally badly with either hand...

Ed

+ Reply to Thread