+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DT lines ending production?

Default DT lines ending production?

J. Castwell & All: I heard a rumor that companies are going to phase out double taper lines. Anyone heard anything on the subject?

Default Re: DT lines ending production?

Why?

A lot of companies seem to be slimming down their DT selection, but I can't imagine anyone getting rid of them completely. Flyshops definitely aren't carrying as many.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Would you be willing to state just 'who' it was that told you this? He must have been sure of his facts and willing to back them up. Who said it? Or was he just spreading bs to make himself look big?

I certainly hope the DTs remain. I fish them almost exclusively, and I love the finesse and handling characteristics.
    I suppose the WF lines are a better match to the fast action rods being mass-produced today, but for those of us who prefer a softer, smoother approach and presentation, the choices seem to be increasingly limited.

In a sense that is true. I don't think you'll see an announcement coming from a manufacturer that they will no longer be producing them...but the pressure at the retail level is driving the market towards the single taper lines. Why?

OK this is my own personal opinion gained from working in the angling retail business for a while... so I won't have a pile of data I can produce, but think about it... First off, it's way more profitable to sell WF lines. To keep up with the time I can get out of a DT line, I would have to buy two WF lines. Thats double the profit. It's not hard to convince a retailer to push the WF lines and convince the public to accept that they are the better choice...when in fact they probably are not. For the beginner caster who wants the most distance with the least amount of casting skill...the WF is the way to go.

I fish rivers 80% of the time. I don't need to worry about champion distance casts. Most of the fish caught are right there in front of me.

I fish DT lines exclusively, though I do have a WF line that I HAD to buy because it was an emergency purchase and the shop didn't carry DT lines....and I am seeing that situation more and more. I should have walked out but I needed it at the time. Now I just walk away if they don't have them or I ask them to order them in for me. I get a lot more milage from the DT and I can handle the line a lot easier for roll casting, mending, nymphing...what ever. You won't get me to give them up.

Lastly... It's way more profitable to sell WF lines!!!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEWINGOLIVE
    what year was the article published???

I have no clue, sorry. Bad research on my part.

Joseph

While I can't comment with any knowledge on the subject I could believe it. Down-locking reel seats went the way of the dinosaurs.

BUT...

I have a hard time believing that DT's; of which there is typically is only one or two variants within a maker; are selling less than some of the super specialty tapers out there. It seems Rio & Sci Anglers have a taper for every possible situation in various colors. Do some of these super special lines sell better than say a Sci Anglers Trout DT or a Rio Classic DT?

I for one prefer down locking reel seats on fiberglass or bamboo rods with click & pawl Hardy reels and double taper lines.

Call me: "almost out of choices".

+ Reply to Thread