+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a little discussion going here ...

Default Get a little discussion going here ...

Wednesday night I was at a meeting, held locally, to get more women interested in the sport of fly-fishing.

One of the presenters, obviously there to sell his product, was blatant in his feelings of other rod companies, the materials used for the rods, the attire worn, and women?s inability to use products created for men. Bamboo was pass? unless it was a Granger; fiberglass was cheap and noodle-y; boron was fragile; graphite useless unless really long and at least 6# (women can?t cast without the advantage of a long, heavy rod, with a grip designed only for women).

Being a very nice person, , I sat there biting my tongue till it almost bled.

The next guy spoke of the virtues of the Sharkskin line, and I had the feeling that if I wasn?t using the SS and the designed only for women rod, I wasn?t worthy of fly-fishing! I sort of blacked out at this point.

What are your thoughts on this? I don?t think you all would actually post that you thought women were second (or third or fourth) class fishers ? but are you in favor of women fly-fishing? (At least not next to you!!) Do you agree with the generalities expressed about the rods? Should I have jumped up and told him he was out of his freekin? mind? Women can do whatever they want, with whatever they want to use, in whatever they want to wear?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Re: Get a little discussion going here ...

Betty there are a lot of Pigs left in the world, but they are fewer and fewer every day.

JJ
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

In my opinion, which counts for little, I would think an introduction to fly fishing would talk to why fly fishing is fun, what equip. is needed, how to get said stuff at a reasonable cost. Suggesting to even a seasoned fly fisher that brand X is the only way to go would only upset most folks unless they happened to have that brand. I suspect your presenters did not sell anyone on their equipment.

Blog Entries

There is a gun writer that passed away last year, Named Jeff Cooper, he made the point that if (in the 48 contiguas (sic) states) you couldnt do it with a 45 ACP handgun you didnt need a bigger hand gun you needed a 30-06 If you couldnt do it with a 30-06 you needed somthing with a lanyard. Both of those cartridges were developed before world war one. When one of the gun companies came out with somthing bigger better etc he would ask (in his private writings) what will it do that a 30-06 wont. and for the most part he was right.

this is a long rambeling way of saying that those peoples agenda isnt selling you what you need, its making what you need seem wrong so you will buy somthing "biger and better." I welcome the ladies to fly fishing, hunting, all the traditional "mens" outdoor activities, but you are a large group and they will try to market to you. I guess what it comes down to is, smaller grips are wonderful for those with smaller hands both male and female, purple rods are great for those who like purple, if it works for you great, if the sales pitch ticks you off, tell the guy and the company he works for (if he ticks you off he will be doing the same to others) and purchase a different brand. The good will survive, the bad will become collectors items, and the fisher people willl keep on fishing.

And if I ever get the oppertunity to fish with you I might not fish next to you you but I will stand real close and watch alot, I know that I can learn more from watching you fish than I can standing 50 yards down river. (the same goes for VEE and LF and the other ladies who frequent this board.)

Have a great weekend

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Betty,
    I'm for manufacturers making so called "Women's Fly Stuff", but NOT happy that they tried to twist your arm, belittle or generalize about women in FF. Last February? at the FF Show I saw a Lady from Colorado selling Women's FF colored apparel, but she wasn't trying to insult anyone. The manufacturers might be trying to lure women into FF with fashionable stuff.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Betty, you would have done any novice fisherwomen in attendance a big favor if you had marched up to the podium and told everyone just what you said in the last sentence of your post. Sometimes people who are trying to market a product (like women's fishing gear) go overboard. A wise consumer will always discount an unknown salesman's spiel by at least 50%. Usually his motive has more to do with his own commissions and profits than getting you outfitted at a reasonable cost.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Fly fishing is what it is. Marketing different things just for ladies is sexist, insulting and wrong.

I agree with JC. Wader design, now you can talk about the differences between men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Clip from quote Betty,
    The manufacturers might be trying to lure women into FF with fashionable stuff.
    Doug
    I've found generally that products, especially for outdoors purposes, designed for women won't hold up as well as things made for the men. They're too light, too thin, too cute-sey, and are maybe ok for the first 5 minutes. I don't believe womens attention spans are that short, or that superficial.
    BY ... even waders. Again, if you want to look cute on the stream, maybe. But if you're intent of fishing, it doesn't matter! Cinch the belt up tighter! We've got two legs and two feet ... and just want to be dry and, well, dry! Blue? Teal? Purple? Do the fish care?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'd imagine that this guy was 2 months late on his car payment and all of his credit cards were maxed out. It sounds like he was screaming "I need sales or I'm screwed!"

re: women and fly fishing. This is always a touchy subject for many, so I'll tread lightly.
    Let me first say that I'd give almost anything if I could get my wife to go fly fishing with me.
    As far as women-specific gear. I think its a good idea, but not for the reasons most people think. If the gear is meant to fit a woman better physically, then thats great. I know I wouldn't want to use something that was anatomically shaped for a woman! If folks are making and marketing gear for women so that using that gear makes them "equal" to man....that's total BS. By trying to cater to one side, you are saying that they need that "special" treatment. I don't think thats what most women want. Don't you just want to be viewed as equal? Marketers should realize that women can do what men can do with the SAME STUFF and they don't need a special one.

I view this whole subject as the age-old debate on equality. Are men and women equal? Nope. Men are good at somethings, women are good at everything else (generally speaking of course, there are always exceptions). That's why there are both sexes. One compliments where the other lacks.

Do I have a problem with the opposite sex doing the same stuff I do? No way! I think guys that do have that problem are afraid of getting beat by a girl.
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread