+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Borger's "The Nature of Fly Casting". A review

Default Jason Borger's "The Nature of Fly Casting". A review

I just received the book this weekend and I'm impressed. I've only read the first few chapters and my understanding of the mechanics of fly casting have already improved. I went out last night and had a good practice session using Jason's techniques and a BIG part of my tailing loop problem went away.

I found that my grip was close to his "3 point grip" already, but a minor change he suggested seemed to help a lot. Just by changing my grip slightly I fixed a problem of my rod tip going too far back on my back cast. This was just one of the "Aha!" moments I've had while reading the book. Another one was the understanding of WHY accelerating too fast will cause tailing loops by understanding HOW that acceleration effects the path of the rod tip.

My first impression of the book was "Wow!". It's very nicely bound in a horizontal format. It's probably about 8" high by about 11" wide. The book lays out nicely on a table and the overall feel is that this is a high quality square bound soft cover book. The quality of the binding and cover seem to hint at the quality of the information inside.

The premise of the book is that cast are made up of modules. The back cast is a module, the forward cast is a module. An in the air mend is a module. As you stack these modules up horizontally and vertically you can build any cast you need. But the important thing is to get good at each of the individual modules first. That sounds logical but how do you actually teach that? This book does a wonderful job of teaching, in print, something that you must learn through physical practice.

After teaching the basic cast Jason gets into in the air mending, on the water mending, picking the line up off of the water and more. He even touches on Spey casting and how we single handed fly casters can use some of the techniques of Spey casting to add casting modules to our toolbox. Then he adds in discussions of elliptical cast, curved cast and on and on and on into realms of casting that I didn't even know existed. I can easily spend a couple of years learning the basics of all these cast. But each module that you learn adds so much to your toolbox of techniques that I can see how every minute of practice will benefit your casting repertoire.

Among Jason's credits as a fly caster is the fact that he doubled for Brad Pitt in "A River Runs Through It" during the "Shadow Casting" segment. That was the scene where Brad was suppose to be so good at casting that he would float the fly above the water over a fish simply casting a series of shadows on the water enticing the fish to rise. Once that fish was drawn to the surface he'd land that fly perfectly and get a strike. That's the kind of thing that sounds great when you read it in a book, but could anyone actually cast like that for the movie? Is that cast even possible? Jason was brought in to figure out how to perform that cast. He did, and he was the one on film doing that amazing display of the art of casting.

You can buy the book directly from Jason at his website http://www.jasonborger.com/
    I paid via PayPal and Jason was nice enough to inscribe the book with a personal comment addressed to me. That was another nice touch that I appreciated, but wasn't expecting.

If this review has spiked your interest then you may want to check out "Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio".
    http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/
    Jason has been the sole guest for the full 90 minute show at least twice.

I should add that I'm in no way associated with Jason Borger or his teaching academy. I'm just a very happy customer.

Default Re: Jason Borger's "The Nature of Fly Casting". A review

lol,,, he's a nice kid and his dad is pretty nice too. We have known both for years and sure love watching them cast. No doubt about it, he is good.

This summer I was able to attend an afternoon seminar by Jason, right here in southern Iowa. The morning session was for those just wanting to learn to cast and from the comments by those involved was very sucessful. Eight of us spent the 4 hour afternoon session learning about line control, in air mends, on the water mends, curve and reach casts, and more that I can't remember without checking the book. Jason is a very good and patient instructor but he makes you work through things. We cast for almost all of that 4 hours and my arms and shoulders hurt for a couple of days from the work out and learning new things. One young man went through both sessions and was very sore, tired, and sunburned but was still talking and asking questions when I left. I bought the book at the end of the session and the price of it and the seminar was quite a bargin if you are interested in helping your casting and line control while fishing. If you get the chance to go to one of Jason's seminars do yourself a favor and go, but be prepared for a work out! I fully agree that the book is great but it takes some time to try to absorb it, so if you can't make it to a seminar by all means buy the book.

When I talk with instructors, I tell them to put their fly rod in 'their' off hand and do some casting. Only that way will they realize just how tough it is for a new student to learn. If you are right handed, make a few casts with your left hand. Now, remember how that felt. That is how it will feel to any new guy you try to teach or help with his casting. Sometimes this point is overlooked by younger instructors.

That's interesting J. Because in the very early chapters Jason talks about working on your casting stroke with both hands. I've certainly found myself in a position where I had to cast upstream to a rising trout but there was lots of brush on my right. I ended up turning downstream and casting the opposite direction but presenting my fly on a back cast.

I just found another review here
    http://www.sexyloops.com/tackle/natureo ... ting.shtml

It's looking like this is "The One To Get" for sure.

You peeked my interest once again and I ordered the book.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Jason's book is perhaps the best and most comprehensive book ever published for anyone interested in casting mechanics and improving his or her standard, but... this is not a book for everyone.

The approach is very methodical (note the "a modular approach" sub-title) and Jason is rather analytical in his coverage of the subject. Some would say anal retentive. (Please note, for and from me this is a compliment! )

Have you read, really read the instruction manual which accompanied your cell phone, or have you mastered the full complement of buttons on the remote control for your tv, then Jason's book is certainly for you.

If you routinely leave the shrink wrap on all the manuals, perhaps look towards more approachable books such as by Mel Krieger.

Me? I read Jason's book cover to cover, and reviewed it for the FFF The Loop magazine.

There is a single short sentence in the text which covers the contents of the book very nicely. Jason asks: How do you spell "flycasting"?
    The answer given in the followup line: C-O-N-T-R-O-L

I resemble that remark

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

9. Default Re: Jason Borger's "The Nature of Fly Casting". A review

Quote Originally Posted by DruLeeParsec
    I just received the book this weekend and I'm impressed. I've only read the first few chapters and my understanding of the mechanics of fly casting have already improved. I went out last night and had a good practice session using Jason's techniques and a BIG part of my tailing loop problem went away.

Did you order the book during the show? I ordered the book during the show and still havent received it yet. Given that he didnt charge for shipping I am assuming he sent it book rate which would be slow, but am wondering why you got yours on saturday and I still havent received mine??

10. Default Re: Jason Borger's "The Nature of Fly Casting". A review

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    When I talk with instructors, I tell them to put their fly rod in 'their' off hand and do some casting. Only that way will they realize just how tough it is for a new student to learn. If you are right handed, make a few casts with your left hand. Now, remember how that felt. That is how it will feel to any new guy you try to teach or help with his casting. Sometimes this point is overlooked by younger instructors.
    Are you a casting instructor? I looked at the FFF certified casters (both MA and CI (as well as board of governors, two handed, etc,) and you werent listed for washington?

+ Reply to Thread