+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly tying portable lamp

Default Fly tying portable lamp

Hi,
    I was looking at buying a portable fly tying lamp that slips over the vise. I deploy quite a bit with the military so in my off time sometimes I will tie flies. I was looking at two different types. The halogen or Xelogen,is the one type, and the daylight tyers lamp is the other type. Can someone give me some info please. Right now I have a clip on type lamp strung to the tent for my fly tying. Next time I deploy I will have a good light.

Jkilroy

Normand Guest

Default Re: Fly tying portable lamp

how about this. ive never used it so i wont comment on it.

www.linesend.com

I've traveled with a McKenzie vice light for years and have found it durable and quite effective. It's available from the same company mentioned in the last post. It does require AC power.

The only drawback is that the halogen bulb gets quite hot, so you want to have the light positioned correctly before you turn it on or immediately thereafter, then leave it alone so you don't burn your fingers.

I have tried LED based portable lights, with very limited success. The light was bright, but the color balance was off. It made the colors look very strange. The 13w folding Ott Lamp is a nice compact 120v true color lamp, it's a bit pricey unless you find it on sale.

Here is a link to the battary operated LED lamp I have used, it's much brighter than any flash light set up...
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

The 13w Ott lamps are currently on sale at Joannes Craft stores, they even have a portable one....
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp? ... rce=search

I have the Ott light. It folds for ease of transport, opens for good quality color accurate light. And the sale price at JoAnns right now, can't be beat!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I've use both a halogen light and an ott light. I find the fluorescent Ott Light to be easier on the eyes. The one that I have folds up to fit in my tackle bag that I use to haul my tying stuff around in. If you've got access to electricity, then I'd go the Ott Light. Just be sure and carry an extra bulb since they'll probably be hard to come by wherever your stationed.

Be safe in your deployments and good luck.

TxEngr

Has anyone used the "daylight" 120V lamps? How good do they work.

The Ott-lite that I use is the 120V "daylight" lamp, and it's a dandy!! I've used it for the last 6 or 7 years, and have not had any trouble with it (now watch! having said that, it probably won't turn on today!!). It does fold, so there is protection for the bulb when traveling. Had used a daylight lamp with my artwork for a bazillion years, and it just felt right with the color precision in fly tying.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I also use the OTT light 13 watt and I bought it for $30 plus a couple dollars at a office supply on sale. The sunday paper usually have 40% off coupon for Joe-Ann or Hobby Lobby. The drawback is thar it has weight and the vise light mentioned would be lighter. If weght isnt a factor go with the OTT 13 a black model is less expensive than the white--same bulb different color. BILL

I have the Daylight brand desk lamp with magnifer, it is excellent. It used similar bulbs as the Ott lamps for about 2/3 the money. My research showed the color spectrum to be almost identical as the Ott brand.

I stopped in at Joannes yesterday, they have 'Normandy' brand lamps at 40% off, there was a 13w folding lamp identical to the Ott lamp sale priced at $14.99 vs the Ott lamps $79.98. I bought one! The lamp is nice and bright, the color balance is good, but not quite as good as my Daylight brand lamp.

+ Reply to Thread