+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ocean Kayak Drifter Angler

Default Ocean Kayak Drifter Angler

....read a recent article on this model and had a question...

How many of you own this model, how many stand up to fish in it and how many have taken a dunk; or, is it really stable enough to stand in and fish at 32.5" wide?

Thanks, Jim

Default Re: Ocean Kayak Drifter Angler

For a kayak, the drifter is relatively easy to stand in. But you have to have good balance. As big and clumsy as I am, I have trouble standing on a battleship.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I think the Drifter is a great yak. Older style compared to many coming out, but its simple. I think simple is best when fly fishing. Lots of younger guys stand on them. On the Caper too, check out georgiariverfishing to talk to alot of guys who use them and stand in them.

Blog Entries

I had one of these for 25 years. Bought it in 1968 for $450.00

http://www.folbot.com/greenland2.html

It weighted 64 pounds and was stable as a rock. I found if you stood up with your foot on one gunnel there was very little chance of you losing balance. The only time I ever fell out of it was because I tried to move from the back over the front seat and I tripped. It was an incredibly dumb move but I was just 4 feet from shore in 2 feet of water.

Folbot doesn"t make the model I had any more but their greenland II is very close to it.

I put a partially inflated inner tube in the front and back for floatation just in case but even tho I went 10 miles out in the ocean and was in some pretty rough weather I never got very wet in it. they even had a sail kit for it.

ps It is still in the family and still going strong although the color is very faded. Nearly 40 years after I bought it.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Good one
    I was fishing from my canoe one time...standing of course
    I had a audience on shore watching
    One fellow yells out "Hey, It's not safe to stand in a canoe"
    Just then I hooked up with a nice smallmouth
    As I set the hook I went over backwards busting the canoe seat.
    ..Never fell out though
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I believe it when guys say they stand up on their SOT kayaks but the things aren't really designed for standing and I sure wouldn't buy one if that's what I planned to do with it. I'd get a canoe with outriggers or a pontoon with a place to stand or a flats boat, jon boat, etc. If it's wide enough for a middle-aged, normally-sized guy to stand up in with ease then it's too wide to paddle with ease. unless it's got a lot of surface area underwater in a V shape or a centerboard or similar. A SOT is great to get you to someplace where you can stand to fish and then get back on it way easier than you would get back into and out of a sit-inside kayak.

I owned a Drifter for about a year. It wasn't the fishing model but same hull. It paddled like a barge and the ride was wet in the butt. It was a very stable sitting platform but I never tried standing on it.

Bottom line: I'd rent/borrow/fish in and stand up in one of these a few times before I bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrookieAngler
    I believe it when guys say they stand up on their SOT kayaks but the things aren't really designed for standing and I sure wouldn't buy one if that's what I planned to do with it. I'd get a canoe with outriggers or a pontoon with a place to stand or a flats boat, jon boat, etc. If it's wide enough for a middle-aged, normally-sized guy to stand up in with ease then it's too wide to paddle with ease. unless it's got a lot of surface area underwater in a V shape or a centerboard or similar. A SOT is great to get you to someplace where you can stand to fish and then get back on it way easier than you would get back into and out of a sit-inside kayak.

I owned a Drifter for about a year. It wasn't the fishing model but same hull. It paddled like a barge and the ride was wet in the butt. It was a very stable sitting platform but I never tried standing on it.

Bottom line: I'd rent/borrow/fish in and stand up in one of these a few times before I bought one.
    I agree whole heartedly. Well said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrookieAngler

I have been in many types of canoes and kayaks most would toss you in the drink if you even tried to stand up so I sort of agree with you .

But until you sit in, stand up in and row a folbot you haven't experienced the best. I could stand with one foot on the gunnel lean way over and it would not tip. It was easy to paddle with one or two crew. I'd rate it more stable than a 12 ft aluminum. I know that sounds crazy but it is true. It drew only 3 inches of water. It was very stable not like regular canoes or kayaks. Its only drawback was it steered like an arrow. The new ones come with a rudder. I spent many long hours devising a home made rudder back in the 1960's that I finally got to work well. The next year folbot came out with one very much like mine. Go figure.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread