+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man vs Wild

Default Man vs Wild

A little off topic, but I love this show and just read a very interesting article: http://www.reuters.com/article/televisi ... 1520070724

Thoughts?
    Leave No Trace

Default Re: Man vs Wild

It's an entertaining TV show. I never watch it thinking it is "real". (Real survival and survival with a cameraman are not the same)

He's no Survivorman. Lee Stroud does it all himself. That is substantially more hard core. He also makes some seriously asinine decisions...like the time he climbed down the vine on the waterfall. That was incredibly stupid and would likely end up getting about 95% of the population killed if they tried something like that. I do like the show, but don't have a ton of respect for him as a survivalist (not that he couldn't get the job done if necessary).

I respect Bear b/c I think he's in great shape and clearly has some survival experience. He also does a lot of research prior to getting in to an area as he always seems to know which plants are good for what and what the original inhabitants of an area used to survive.

I love watching Les too. Survivorman starts a new season this month! Watching both together, I think you can learn a lot from them, but I agree-Bear does some idiotic things and things are usually just too easy for him. Entertaining non-the-less.
    Leave No Trace

i have watched both of those shows.

i think man v.s. wild is a little more entertaining but have to agree that survivorman is way more realistic.

in manvswild they tell you that the camera man is just there to film, and he talks to them but they cannot talk back or something along those lines.
    but how does survivorman get his shots? isnt there a camera crew there with him also?

Survivorman packs all his his cameras and tripods with him. The shots you see of him at a distance happen only because he has pre-set his cameras. After the shot he goes back and collects all of his gear and carries on. I enjoy both shows.

ohhhhhh i see.
    thanx for setting me straight.

Blog Entries

Can't watch the crap if you are out doing it , spent twenty four years in the Canadian Forces.

NEVER go out side your own home with out telling someone were and when you will be back.

And always plan for the worst and the wild will give you its best.....

TV is just that TV,

I like the fishing shows on SAT/SUN have lots taped watch in the winter when not fly tying or fly fishing the open rivers.

Rant and rumble sorry getting late must get sleep have fishing in the morning.....
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

My wife, kids and I watch Bear Grylls for a laugh. He seems to do everything an average person in a survival situation shouldn't do. He has even said so on occasion, then went ahead and did just what he warned us all about. We watch Survivorman to learn how one should do it. That being said, the one thing they both do wrong is move. If one gets lost the first thing to do is STAY WHERE YOU ARE! in almost all cases.

I am surprised that soo many people take televison at face value.

IT IS ALL ABOUT BENJAMINS GUYS!!!!!!!

People that run TV stations do that to make money - not to imporove your life. In order to accpomlish that they will go to extraordinary lenghts. Lying and faking included. You should put a big sign on top of your TV:" Whatever you see on this screen is for the entertaiment purposes only!!!" Any similiarity with what you see to the truth is purely coincidental...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread