+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Largemouth Bass in the Moonlight

Default Largemouth Bass in the Moonlight

My fishing partner and I ventured onto one of our small prairie lakes late yesterday evening. We fished from about 7:30 pm until about 1:00 am. The moon rose about 10:00 pm and the fishing for lmb was fabulous. We had good success using deer hair frogs and mice during before dark and then used a variety of deer hair contraptions after dark. I had the best luck using black poppers (made from flip flops) and my friend found success using frogs and mice. I tied up some black gurgle pops the fish wanted bigger flies than the size 2s I had so I switched to large poppers and deer hair mice, in black. Fishing was good until the wind came up and then the fish shut off.

Biggest fish of the evening was a little over four pounds but we caught numerous fish in the 2-3 lb range. I used to night fish for bass quite often years ago but hadn't done it in a long time. I am planning a few more trips this summer to take advantage of this opportunity.

Rick

Blog Entries

Default Re: Largemouth Bass in the Moonlight

Hi Rick,

That's awesome news. I used to do a lot of night fishing for LMB about 10-12 years ago when I was real young, with my spinning gear. Was always a blast. I'm going to be heading out tomorrow night to a locale manmade lake to do some fishing in the moonlight as well. Thanks for the motivation Rick

Shane

P.S. Poppers from flipflops?

That's really cool.
    I have always thought about night fishing.
    I have a lake that i know like the back of my hand that i could probably go to at night.
    I might try it pretty soon if its as good as it sounds.

Ottoditta -- check out the Dremel flies and instructions from Jim Hatch. They'll be in the archives.

Rick, got tied up in a couple of major honey-dos and was much too pooped to do much Saturday night. BTW, ran into Tim and Pat Asche, and later Scott Gerdes. All send their regards. Scott said he knew your brother better since he was in the same class, and all had great Rick Nelson stories to tell. Seems your Hendrix moment is still a favorite of that generation! I might head up to Glacial Lakes late this afternoon after my ribs are done smoked, and I do have a black dremel fly -=- a knockoff of the old fly rod Hula Popper rigged and ready to go. JJGW

Went out last evening and fished with limited success. It started getting dark and the bites started happening but so did the lightning in my area. Seems like I went through this just up in Colorado recently when I had to get out of the stream 6 times in one day due to those bolts.

+ Reply to Thread