+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tea Stick Rods?

Default Tea Stick Rods?

Does anyone have any info on the Tea Stick Rods? I understand they are made in the East. West Virginia maybe. My interest is in the American Series 7'4", 4-weight. Biggest question for me is alway price, then performance.
    Thanks Ahead,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Re: Tea Stick Rods?

This is what I found doing a Google search. http://www.teastickrod.com/rods-american.php

From their About Us page:

About Us
    Highland Mills Rod Co. was founded by Thorney Lieberman in 2002 as the Tea Stick Rod Co. In order to accomodate its rapid growth, the company was restructured and renamed in 2007.

Thorney has flyfished for over 30 years, mostly with cane, and brings his passion for both using and collecting bamboo flyrods to the business of Highland Mills Rod Co.

He had a distinguished career photographing architecture in New York and counted the architect I.M. Pei among his clients. A book of his photographs, Manhattan Lightscape, was published by Abbeville Press. All the pictures on this site - from rods and reels to streams - are Thorney's photographs, and include some of his favorite fishing spots.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TF,
    Thanks for responding. I got an email back from them. They are beautiful rods and most likely well worth the $1299 price. However, my interest has been quenched.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I remember seeing a company named Tea Stick Rods at the FF retailer show a few years ago; they were selling very low cost bamboo rods produced in China. After reviewing the Highland Mills website, it appears that Highland Mills sells 3 lines of rods, with only 1 being completely made in the US. Cryptically, the original and the signature series do not refer to being made in the US, while their third line, the American series makes the distinctive claim to be all-American made. I can only assume from the descriptions that the "original" series is completely planed (or machined?) in the non-US (China?), assembled in the non-US (China?), with non-US (Chinese?) components. The signature appears to be of non-US (Chinese?) blanks, but US components.

These are my observations, and I have not contacted Highland Mills, so take it for what it's worth; I will let someone else chime in with comments on quality of the non-US rods and their value perception....

I have and love the TEASTICK 7' 4wt. with extra tip. For the price it is a fantastic rod and I will compare the ACTION to that of my $1,800. Orvis. The reel seat and guides are not HIGH quality, but they are more than functional.
    If you ask me if you can get a quality Bamboo rod for under $500. I would have said no, till I had a chance to cast then buy the TEASTICK.

NO CLUB HERE!

Of all the bamboo rod options and makers available I would NEVER consider paying $1299 for a teastick rod, check here:
    http://www.classicandcustomflyshop.com/ ... _mills.htm
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thanks for that link Ray, I wanna get one of those Vom Hoff rep for kicks.

For $999 (Solid Built) or $1295 (Hollow Built), I would definitely look into AJ Thramer rods. He is a master, and the rods are just gorgeous! They are all hand-built by him. He is a very well-known cane rod maker. He is also very easy to work with, and will guide you into a rod that fits your needs (If you're not sure).

Good luck.

http://www.thramerrods.com

9. Default Re: Tea Stick Rods?

Ditto on thramer. He makes a mind boggling-ly large selection of rods. Any taper you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by FF4Fun
    For $999 (Solid Built) or $1295 (Hollow Built), I would definitely look into AJ Thramer rods. He is a master, and the rods are just gorgeous! They are all hand-built by him. He is a very well-known cane rod maker. He is also very easy to work with, and will guide you into a rod that fits your needs (If you're not sure).

Good luck.

http://www.thramerrods.com
    But he's not looking to spend that much guys. Tea Sticks can be had, like the lady said, for under $500
    http://www.teastickrod.com/rods-original.php
    If you want to spend some scratch, I'd recommend Bill Oyster for a cane rod over anyone else. Even a Thramer.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

+ Reply to Thread