+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wadable trout streams in Flintstone/Cumberland, MD vicinity?

Default Wadable trout streams in Flintstone/Cumberland, MD vicinity?

Will be in area of Flintstone and Cumberland, MD for short conference. May be able to steal a few hours to fish. Any suggestions on nearby streams appreciated.

Best bet is the Savage River...headwaters have LOTS of brookies (as does almost every single trib of the headwaters), tailwater is about 75% brown/25% brookie, all nice plump healthy fish.

Not sure how the NB Potomac looks right now, never really fished it...but it's a little tougher to fish than the Savage.

PM me if you like, I can give you some specifics.

Marty

GrMtMAN,

I live in Cumberland. Let me know when you might be coming and I might be able to set you up with your own personal guide service.
    Steve

MrFishingToughGuy & Rookie,

Thanks for the info and offer of personal guide service. Unfortunately, I got to my conference yesterday and found out that the trout season wasn't open yet as it opens in Maryland this Saturday. Poo!Didn't even give it a thought as I can fish all year round in Virginia. May try fishing on the lake at Rocky Gap Lodge tomorrow with a three day out of state license that they can get for me here. Won't have much more time as I have to attend some of the conference events. Thanks again for your offers. Passed over Fifteen Mile Creek on the way here and the water looked great. Sorry to miss it.

Don't know if you will get this in time, but, looking out of the back of the lodge, there is a cove to your right. There are two points, the one the lodge is on and the one over at the swimming area. There is a nice drop off out from the point of the swimming area and it circles half way into the cove. Try that area and also try down at the boat launch. Since the amphitheater was put in, it ruined a perfectly good spawning area.

Hope you enjoy your stay and good luck.
    Steve

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Savage open year-round?

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by MrFishingToughGuy
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Savage open year-round?

Marty
    I believe all catch-and release streams are open year 'round.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Hi Marty,

The Savage is broken in to two different parts, the reservoir and the river. Different rules apply to each. The river has a closed season where you are not allowed to fish for any species. I believe that ends tomorrow.
    Steve

Here's what I dug up from the DNR website:

Restrictions - The regulation strategy includes a Fly Fishing Only Trophy Trout Management Area located in the section of the river from the Savage River Reservoir downstream 1.25 miles to the Allegany Bridge. A Trophy Trout Management Area, restricted to the use of artificial lures or flies, is located between the Allegany Bridge and the mouth of the river, a distance of approximately 2.75 miles. Regulations for both Trophy Trout Management Areas include a year-round open season, a 12-inch minimum size limit for brook trout, an 18-inch minimum size limit for brown trout, and a two-trout daily creel limit. There is no minimum size limit on rainbow trout in either area. The stocking of hatchery trout in the SRT was discontinued after 1990. Please consult the Maryland Freshwater Sportfishing Guide for complete regulation details.

Marty

I called DNR right before I responded to your post because I wasn't sure either. He read the rule (supposedly) right out of the new handbook. The Savage River area has always been surrounded with controversy in one way or another. Hopefully, someday they will get it right.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread