+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering becoming a beginner.Looking for concensus

Perch,

I don't know if your aware of Kansas City Paddlers located in Peculiar, MO, but it'd be a good idea for you to go there and try a few kayaks. They can let you try some out and help you define which one you need.

Once you've got yourself waterbound I highly recommend you go to Watkin's Mill and get fishing. Dpenrod will likely agree. We met up there a couple of times last season and it was the best fishing I've found for some time. Maybe we'll see you there.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

perch

most fishermen that start using a kayak like something with a larger cockpit and tracks pretty straight. a wilderness system pungo or pamlico, old town loon, perception america would meet this idea, a dagger blackwater would be a nice boat too, if you don't need as large a cockpit but would like better use in faster water.

a 10 or 12 footer would be good and more of a 12 if you like to take a lot of gear or may want to do a camping trip. consider what may be too heavy to handle for taking on/off the truck/car or getting to from the water. get a nylon skirt to use. this not onlu helps keep water out, it keeps sun of your legs, and that can be a big deal in the summer when wet wading. it also acts as a nice work bench and storage holder if you modify it with pockets, velcro strips etc. add a rod holder and a paddle clip/bungee. get one with deck rigging or add it later. a dry hatch is useful too. anyone else have some useful thing to look for or add on?

it would be best to paddle some first, rent, borrow, go to demos see what's near you.

Im 5'9" and comming in at a rather fluffy 185-190lbs.(Im also bald and devilishly handsome too ). I am going to be spending most of my training/learning time down in southern Mo. on little rivers and streams. Class 1-3 at most , so there wont be any real fast water except seasonaly(thank goodness cause I dont want leave the boat and walk out off where Im going).
    Sounds like a perfect fit for a 12' Pungo Classic IMHO. Get a mini skirt for slow water and hot conditions and a traditional skirt for fast water.

Default Kayaking in Kansas City

Perch,

I second MOturkE. Take the trip to Kansas City Paddlers. Tell them your needs and they will let you paddle some boats. Once the water warms up, they have demo days almost every Saturday. They are VERY helpful and they know their stuff.

In your planning, don't forget to budget for transporting your boat (I went with a roof rack), a good paddle (avoid the cheapies), and a good PERSONAL FLOATATION DEVICE (becoming a statistic really wrecks a fishing trip).

I haven't been to Watkin's Mill. Yet.

Tom

BTW, "concensus" implies "agreement among holders of opinion". In case it's not evident yet, you'll NEVER get concensus on which style yak is best. You'll get allot of passionate opinions though!

Default Boat for the Ozarks

Good to see a fellow Missourian on the forum. I do a lot of floating on several of the rivers you've mentioned. If you are looking for an all around do everything boat, fishing, overnight camping, etc., I'd recommend a 16-17' long royalex tandem canoe with no keel. Aluminum is a rock grabber, and kevlar & fiberglass canoes dont last when they drag on Ozark Gravel. I'd look at an Old Town Tripper, or Wenonah Spririt II. Old Town's Discovery 158 and 169 are great boats too, the crosslink is very durable, but there pretty heavy when compared to royalex boats.

If your only going alone, I'd go with a solo canoe. Mine is a Wenonah Vagabond in royalex and I'm very happy with it. It weighs about 45lbs, works well with a yak paddle, and holds enough gear to float for a week.

Not much of a fan kayaks due to there limited gear capacity. Some Sit in Kayaks can be a PIA to get in and out of. The Wilderness Systems Pungo isnt bad though. Sit on Tops are a lot better for in/out..If your looking at one I'd take a good look at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 or the 120. Cheers.

ditto on moturke and jgestar's suggestion to go to kcpaddlers. and moturke is right, if you like to catch bluegill, head out to watkins mill. most of the guys i've seen there seem to be targeting bass.

for either a kayak or canoe look at the old town web site. they make both with fishermen in mind. i have the predator 111 kayak. great for fishing with spinning gear. fly line just drapes into the cockpit, and the angle is bad, i think for fly casting. also i saw where ll bean has come out with a kayak/canoe type boat that may work for you.

fly line just drapes into the cockpit, and the angle is bad, i think for fly casting.
    Try a mini skirt. It will provide you a nice flat surface to drop our line on. Works great ( and keeps your lower half out of teh sun/drippings.

+ Reply to Thread