+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wader Repair?

Default Wader Repair?

Well, wore out another set of waders, actually the neoprene stocking foot. Second pair in three years now. I make sure that there is no gravel in the shoes before I put them on, tie them tight and wear gravel guards. But I keep wearing them out on the back of the heel! I inspected the shoe for any rough edges and seams but found none. I bought a good shoe after the first set of waders and it happened again! Any advice would be much appreciated.
    JH

fish less

You might look at different shoes. Yours may not be bending when you walk.

Dear JaPa,

Another thing about the shoes. Maybe they don't fit as snugly as they should and your foot is sliding back and forth and rubbing around the heel? You don't want them too tight, but you don't want your foot shifting around either. Maybe you could also put a sock over your neoprene foot before you put on your wading shoe?

You should always try on waders and wading shoes with the socks you plan to wear fishing to insure a proper fit.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

You didn't say what kind of waders you've been using. The premium ones (like Simms) won't wear out that fast under normal fishing conditions. I get about 90-120 days of fishing per year on mine and the neoprene boots take 2-3 years before they wear out.

Normally, you want a wading shoe that is one size bigger than your normal foot size to allow for the space needed for your sock(s) and neoprene boot. It also helps getting them on without stretching the neoprene if your wading shoes abd the neoprene on you wading feet are both wet when you put them on.

You may also want to consider wearing a thin wading sock over the neoprene as an added protection.

John

Very weird since I have never worn out a pair of booties and I have worn several different shoe brands over the years and I also buy my shoes 1.5 sizes larger than my street shoe.

Maybe you have a foot of the proper length for the shoe but you have a low instep which would mean your foot lifts from the insole when you walk. Possibly a pair of orthotic insoles IN ADDITION or as a replacement to the factory insole would help.

I found that I was over stressing the booties while putting the boots on.

The booties are a little big for my feet and the excess material was gathering up and creating a lot of heel pressure when I inserted my foot. Once the foot was in the shoe the material redistributed and everything thing felt fine.

I solved the problem by putting a thin neoprene sock over the booty. The sock compacts the loose material and prevents the folds that were the source of the problem.

I prefer to buy boot foot waders then I don't have to worry about wading shoes, gravel guards, etc, etc & etc.

I had that happen and I used shoe goo to patch it up. Has held tight for 18 months now!

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I get holes in mine at the neoprene booties as well. Aqua-Seal is my friend!!

Jeff
    "If you don't loosen up that buckle on your heart and start to chuckle, your gonna die of boredom, Safety Joe" ~John Prine

+ Reply to Thread