+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! How Do You Take Good Pictures of Flies?

Another "trick" for shooting small flies is the tie and shoot a larger version of the same fly.

It is much easier to shoot a size 10 or 12 something than a size 20 something.

Also I use multiple light sources, typically three, to eliminate shadows. Play around with positioning till you get something you like.

Some cameras focus better if you set the focusing mode to Spot AF and make sure your fly is centered.

One other thing that helps is to take lots of shots. I will take a dozen or more pictures of the same fly with small variations in the lighting, backdrop, camera angel, flash setting and distance to the fly until I get one that is satisfactory. With no film to buy or develop there is no reason we amateurs can't use this technique that the pros have always relied on.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Greg,
    THANKS! This is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Joe;
    Absolutly beautful photos(a little large) What camera are you using? (I wonder if Betty knows what she started with her Hummingbirds?).
    Jack,

I'm using a Canon Power Shot S50, 5.0 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, 4.1x digital. It does everything I need it to. I picked it up a year ago for $300 ($499 new), and today they are going for under $100 on e-bay. It's part of the great megapixel war, but as you can see, 5.0 mp does an excellent job, so I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

I gave a few of those humingbirds as Christmas gifts in clear glass ornaments. It's a neat and unusual fly. Thanks, Betty!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Aside from the afore mentioned points, I get my best pictures by shooting near the patio door. The natural daylight (although it's not the only light source) has totally changed my pictures.

Be careful with the pictures though!!! When you see them blown up with a good macro setting, you start to see all of the imperfections that you didn't notice before.

Blog Entries

When I take mine for swaps, I usually trim the photo. It allows me to do a couple of things. First, I can put some multi-colored items in the outer areas of the picture. It helps to keep the color balance. By trimming, it will bring out the fine details of your subject when you post it on a bulletin board or online. It gets larger instead of smaller if that makes sense.
    I am able to use my flash very often, but there are a few colors (like yellow) that will completely wash out if you aren't paying attention.
    Also, when I bought my canon powershot, I tried all of the macros out there, and liked the canon the best.
    My keys: Lighting, tripod, macro lens.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Thanks everyone. This is the best picture of a fly that I've taken to date. Sorry about the size, still trying to work everything out. This is a little Clouser that I tied on a #10 Std. Nymph hook for panfish that is quite affective and simple to tye. The eyes are from a brass bead chain. Total length 1.5".
    Greg

One final question. What is the best way to changes the size of my pictures? Should I reduce the resolution or use an editing program?

Greg, no expert on this at all...but I see you are using photobucket....they give a choice for down sizing ....looks like you may be at 50%...try 25%...frankly I like to see the larger size...also you can just post the link and we can go to it....

As a rule of thumb I've been told not to downsize the resolution of your original since you can't go back and it is degraded...always save the original somewhere.

Hi Greg,
    You mentioned changing the size of your pictures. A highly recommended graphics program, and one that's also free, is Irfanview. It's found at

http://www.irfanview.com

Enjoy!

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread