+ Reply to Thread

Thread: beginner needs help with Bamboo

Default beginner needs help with Bamboo

Hello all,
    I was gifted a Gene Edwards 7.5' 4wt bamboo blank. I am planning to build this rod. However, I have only built one rod, a graphite 906, with lots of help. I have serious reservations about my ability to do this blank justice. At the moment I'm wondering if I should do this myself or have someone with a little more experience do it. I really need info from beginnig to finished rod including what types of materials I should be using what color the silk wraps should be traditionally,etc. I wonder if someone could recommend a really good book? I've been looking at Golden witch and found agate stripping guide etc. I'll need to buy everything necessary to build this rod. Please, in your response assume that I know absolutely nothing about this. I am in no hurry to get this done quickly but I do want it to look nice.
    Thanks

That is a nice blank, pay a pro to built it for you. You can have it built as plain or as fancy as you like. If the blank has the ferrules installed already it should not cost much, the ferrules installed could run $75 by itself. The rest of the building could be done for under $100.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

MullDover,
    KEEP the rod blank. Don't do anything with it now! Build a number of graphite rods, till you're comfortable with the building process. When you're ready ... read everything you can lay your hands on, get with the people at Golden Witch, and slowly, methodically, build the rod YOURSELF!!! You'll appreciate it all the more by having done it yourself.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default beginner help

Mulldover, What Betty said! You can get reasonable blanks from Hook and Hackle, keep the graphite for rainy days like I do. Dont like taking sets out. Or you can give them as presents, like to Betty or ???? Seriously, thats is a sweet blank but I would take my time and do it myself. My 2cents

I fully agree with ALL parties but more inclined to go along with Betty, as there is no feeling, as you know, to catch a fish on a rod that you personally built. Clyde nailed it, the moral is, practice makes perfect, and building cane is a little bit different than graphite but not significant. I would also recommend that you find and old beater rod in bamboo to practice on. The old post WWII Japanese rods are great for practicing on and they are relatively inexpensive. Once you have the feel of working on bamboo then build that Eddie yourself...you will be so proud of it.

I certainly appreciate everyones advice! I would like to do this myself...I don't know much about grass rods yet only what I've read from Gierach, A.K. etc. What book or books should I have to give me a good start?

if it's a ferrules blank, almost any good basic rod building book will do. Since the rod was a gift you are already ahead of the curve as far as investment goes. Pick a great looking seat and a grip style you like. Maybe have a pro install those for you. Get a geater rod and practice wrapping guides or buy some dowels from the hardware store to practice on. Get a spool of silk thread in a lighter shade so you can see your mistakes.
    Get with a pro and see if they will do the varnishing also. it's kind of like having a house built but doing the drywall yourself. the best of both worlds.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

+ Reply to Thread