+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copper Mtn in July... Info please...

Default Copper Mtn in July... Info please...

Hello all, The fam is headed to the Copper Mountain area the week of July 15. Never fished CO before, but sure am looking forward to getting up there. I was hoping maybe someone could offer a few suggestions on where to go? I don't necessarily need to fish the big well known streams. Small mountain creeks and such make me happy. A good walk is cool too. I enjoy getting out there. Also what should I be stocking my boxes with for that time frame would be a great help. Thanks a lot.

Bob

I've never fished the ponds along I-70 right by Copper Mountain, but am told they hold trout, if you're looking for 5 minutes away. Also, I think it is Nine-mile creek runs right down from Leadville right along the road. Farther up toward Leadville is the headwaters of the Arkansas, and then further south the Arkansas itself. Have fun! Tie some Adams and PMDs, pt nymphs and copper johns.

I have fished the ponds just before the exit for Copper Mountain, and they do indeed hold some trout. As does the stream that runs through the Union Station side of the mountain (10 mile creek?) My family used to have a condo in Copper, back in the mid seventies I spend a lot of summers there. I think you will find the fishing a little bit better if you are willing to drive a bit.

The headwaters of the Arkansas up towards Leadville is considered a 'blue ribbon' fisherey. Turquios lake at leadville is a good spot as well.

Within 45 minutes drive from Copper you could fish the Blue River, 10 Mile Creek, 9 mile creek, White River or the Arkansas.

There are also numerous small streams and apline lakes to fish if you don't mind a short a day hike. The Gore range trail meanders along the continental divide in this area and has many intersecting trail heads near US-40. The East slope of the divide has dozens of small alpine lakes and streams/beaver ponds that are worth the effort.

Give 'Blue River Anglers' of Silverton a call for some expert local advice.

I would agree with 'herefishy's' flies, but I would add a few Royal Coachmans in size 12, some with Trude style wings. Elk hair caddis in a size 16. On the lakes we will get some flying ant swarms in July, tie some big size 12 or 10 black ants with spent or trude wings for these. The trout love 'um and will cruise the lake and sip these off the surface. Adams parachutes size 18 thru 12 are probaly my best producers.

AHHHH!!! Wonderful Summit County. I lived there for 6 years my friend. Fished it till I was blue from cold in the blue. Can't go wrong with the fly shop, but if you tie your own take the usual trout nymphs. Personally I wouldn't count too much on top water action. The water up there stays too cool for large hatches, but they do happen. If your lucky, the green drakes are coming up. BWO's, Caddis, Midges, Mosquitoes. Just remember, cool water means smaller bugs up there. I used a #24 snow fly in December and caught fish. Don't get suckered into the fly shops "fancy fly's" just keep it simple and paitence is key. The waters up there are fished extremely heavy. If I have the time, maybe we could hook up and I could show you a few hidy holes I know up there. Not sure if they still exist though, haven't been there in several years now. The fly shops numbers are 970-968-2107 in Frisco, and 970-453-9171 in Breckenridge. They used to have their only shop in Silverthorne right on the Blue, but I assume they moved and expanded. I sure would have too.

------------------
    If flyfishing were a sin, I'de be the devil's right hand man.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you fish the Blue, up close to the fenced off area below the dam, take a few pinkinsh white scud with ya. Not too many escape the fatboy lunkers in the fence, but every now and then.....POW! The lake if full of them. They hang out there feeding till they bulge. BE AWARE!!!! Lots of slimy algea in the water. Super slick and powerful current! Don't wade alone in the fast water.

------------------
    If flyfishing were a sin, I'de be the devil's right hand man.

A trip to leadville would be mandatory; being that it was once the center of the western US. The Ark is a lot of fun with some pretty good access.

We always try and spend one day just picking a pass to drive over (there's almost always some fishing along the way) You could go over Freemont to get to leadville and come back over Tennessee and down the Eagle R.)

Have fun
    Paul

Thanks all for the info. YOu've given me a good base on where to start. Countrygent36... I may just give you a call a bit closer to July and see if you'd be able to head out. Thanks again...

Bob

+ Reply to Thread