+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting Distance per rod

Default Casting Distance per rod

Given the same caster...[so level of expertise or lack thereof would be the same]...would there be much difference in the distance that he or she could cast the different weight rated fly rods?....assume the rods are rated properly and uniformly....and assume a WF line....I suppose slow vs fast makes a difference????

Any estimates on the difference...in actual feet.... between say a 5 wt vs 7 wt?

That's how it works for me ducksterman.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

A heavier rod will outcast a lighter wt rod for distance.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I can cast a full line with my 9wt.
    Notachance with a 4
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have a 4 weight built by Loomispeople It'll out cast the 4 weight TMF built by Winston by at LEAST 10... The TMF is made to cast like 40- 50 feet under best circumstances (which means no wind, wf line, a better caster than I)...
    Later,
    Peter
    the rod, line, conditions, caster ability, all play a part in distance... which, IMHO, is the least of my concerns... presentation is MY #1 casting concern.

If you are casting long distance you are missing a lot of fish, unless you just like to do it for gracefullness of watching a lot of line spool out. If it's for competition I have no suggestions. Sorry.

I like my IMX 5 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    A heavier rod will outcast a lighter wt rod for distance.
    I agree on one level, but if you start adding factors like the fly you are casting. For example if you have a #18 fly on an 4 wt. vs. an 8 wt. the above statment generally holds true but if you add a 4" or 6" saltwater fly or big bass bug this becomes less true.

Also if you add time it becomes less true. At the end of a day you'll probably have a lot less strength after casting an 8wt. and your casts will deminish more than with a light rod like a 4 wt.

jed

Why am I missing fish if I'm casting "long distances"? If I can throw it 90', i can surely throw it 30'. It's still fishing and the goal is to throw it where the fish are. The guy who never caught a fish out past 40', can't throw it ant farther.

Quote Originally Posted by n2permit
    Why am I missing fish if I'm casting "long distances"? If I can throw it 90', i can surely throw it 30'. It's still fishing and the goal is to throw it where the fish are. The guy who never caught a fish out past 40', can't throw it ant farther.
    A 40' accurate cast will be MUCH more productive than a 90' cast for distance.
    All the mending needed on moving (& sometimes still) water makes landing a fly correctly nearly impossible.
    Later,
    Peter

If you can cast 90', then it's much easier to make the 40' cast into the wind.

Some golfers say distance doesn't matter. Being accurate is more important. In a way it's true, but when you're standing on the tee with a big wind in your face and you need 250 yds to clear an obstacle. Suddenly you wish you had a longer drive.

Fly fishing is the same. Have you ever quit fishing, because it got too windy?

+ Reply to Thread