+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up to date opinions on Airflow Ridge line?

Default Up to date opinions on Airflow Ridge line?

I have read several thumbs up reviews on this line in magazines and such, but I was looking for some real world reviews. I did a search and didn't see anything past October of last year. I was wondering how those of you who have used the line for a little while liked it. Does it really perform as well as they say. Right now I am a fan of SA's GPX lines, but am in need of a couple of new lines this year, and am always wondering if there is something better.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

i got one from a friend who didn't like the color. i was very impressed w the way it cast and shoots line. i have only fished it 3 times.this line is about 3yrs old the tip sinks so i have cut 2.5 ft off the front but haven't tryed it yet.casts better than any i have used in a longtime. my fly shop is takin on the line iam wating on the new ones. was told that they have corrected the tip sink problem.ihave used them all SA and rio. my shop owner has been using one for a while he has same impressions but his tip doesn't sink.

I just finished a product review of the Ridge Line which will appear in the spring issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal. I liked the line, it handles well and remains supple in very cold water. With its very fine grooves and ridges, I worry a bit, though, about how hard it may be to keep it clean. The (at least) implication that, because only the tops of the ridges contact the guides, there will be less friction is not borne out by physics, which tells us that friction is independent of surface area.

So, Preston, did you find it better... or the same.... or .....than other products out there?

I thought, overall, that it was an excellent, serviceable line, I can't say that I found it to have any characteristics that would make it notably superior to any line of similar price and quality.

Have only cast the line a few times myself, but a young friend of mine that has started representing scotland at junior level, and so uses his lines very often, states the line although good from new deteriorates very fast and has moved on to other brands pretty quick.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Jeff
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

There was a line (Cortland??) that came out about 10 or 12 years ago that also had ridges... it was dropped from the lineup after one season... there was concern about dirt, abrasion to the guides & it was limp... didn't cast well at all.
    Since I am not an Airflo fan (BAD experience a number of years ago) I leave the experience & testing to you all.
    Preston, know about this previous line?
    Later,
    Peter

Sorry, I don't recall it. But then I forget a lot of things anymore.

There was the Masterline Chalkstream of maybe 20 years ago that was "bumpy" too. It cast great and I recall it being a really nice line that held up well but my memory of much more than that is cloudy.

There was concern back then over the "bumps" prematurely wearing guides. I don't know if that was a real issue or an imagined one. I do know that my 8'6" 6wt Orvis Limestone Special wore a Chalkstream line most of its life. I still have the rod and the guides look fine to me.

+ Reply to Thread