+ Reply to Thread

Thread: portable seat

Default portable seat

When using my cedar strip (17 ft.) as a solo, which I do quite often, I've used a stadium seat. After opening it, I place it against the back thwart. With a plastic seat cover, after awhile it's getting very sticky and uncomfortable. suggestions? One day when I didn't have the seat in my truck for whatever reason I used foam. This was very comfortable until it got wet. I've seen fold out wooden seats in some canoes that look good. Main requirement is that the seats are removable and have a back -- that thwart just isn't designed for a human back. It has to have a low profile and center of gravity. JGW

John,
    Check this out! I had one years ago & it is just about perfect.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default ethafoam maybe

I've never tried them but Castlecraft sells a removable low profile ethafoam center seat that looks like it might work for you. They've got a website:

http://www.castlecraft.com

Look at their sportspal canoe page or the sportspal square stern canoe parts page for a look at the seat.

Or... take a look at these seats. Other companies make those folding cane seats with backs but these photos are good ones:

http://www.greatcanadian.com/accessories_seats.html

Good luck in your search.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Love this site!!!!! No matter what kind of a question you have there is always a resouces -=- folks like you. Mike, how high does that seat sit off the floor? JGW

John,
    I'm going strictly by memory & "guesstimating", but I believe it is 6-8". I am sure that's close. The neat thing is that you DO have leg room, a low profile, good for paddling, comfortable, & doesn't hold water or get "sticky". I used mine very often for solo fishing. As you know, that lower profile adds stability as well.
    Hope this helps!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Bingo. I originally used a wooden seat that in winter we used inside the rim of a 5-gal. pickle bucket for comfortable ice fishing. For whatever reason one side collapsed, and as you know, cedar strips have no keel, so the quick force rolled the canoe and dumped in about 45 degree water. This was about a week after ice out. A boat fisherman saw it happen and quickly came to my rescue or I wouldn't be here to write this. So stability is as important as comfort, and that Cabelas seat looks great. That wooden ice fishing seat put me about four to five inches off the floor. JGW

A friend of mine recently bought a Grumman Sportboat and he ordered out their "Lazyback Seat Cushion" which I tried out and thought very comfortable. For whatever it's worth ...

http://www.marathonboat.com/canoe_accessories.htm

Dale

nighthawk Guest

I have the same seat as ohiotuber. The only thing I don't like about it is that, for me , the seat leans back just a tad too far. Quality wise it is a very good deal. I intend to use mine while hunting squirrel this year.

+ Reply to Thread