+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North Carolina in October

Default North Carolina in October

I'm headed to North Carolina in October and thought I'd try a float trip on the Davidson for smallmouth and trout. Am I missing the smallmouth season and need to just concentrate on trout? Is there better water I should consider? Any guide suggestions?

Thanks for your advice!

The Davidson for trout would be grand at that time of year. The snakes might be sleeping as well as the yellow jackets!
    Really though, it's a darned nice time of the year to go fishing down here.
    I really don't know the entire river that well but I don't recall hearing it spoken of as a smallmouth river. The French Broad (actual name... really!) flows a bit north of there. There are smallies in it.

Ditto what Jackster said. I've been here going on three years now and the smallie fishing hasn't been the best, but maybe if the semi-drought continues . . . BTW, the French Broad is the third oldest river in the world (don't ask me how they can tell) after the Nile and the New (also in NC), so that's a little bit of added incentive to float it while you're here. It originates in Transylvania County and runs right through Asheville.
    -CC

Wirehead,
    Will you be staying in the Asheville area or around Brevard and when will you be there?
    Give me a few specifics and maybe we could work out a fishing trip!
    The fishing has been kind of slow with the hot weather and little rain over the past month or so. With some rain and the cooler weather the fishing will improve, especially in October.
    My e-mail is in my profile if you want to contact me directly.

Bryan

Wirehead,

The Davidson can be very tough because of the fishing pressure. I'm not trying to dissuade you and lead you in a different direction altogether, but, the South Holston and the Watauga should be fishing excellent about that time. I don't think you'll see alot of smallmouth action but the trout should be bustin'. I can recommend Rod and Matt Champion as guides. Check out their website (Champion Outfitters) and you'll also see some very reasonable rates. The South Holston is about and hour and a half from Asheville. Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for your advice. Let's see now, the Davidson River or the "French Broad". I think I'll take the French Broad!!! Actually I'll expand my territory of consideration to the South Holston and Watauga. Didn't realize they were that close to the Piedmont.

Tight lines!

+ Reply to Thread