+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: portable stripping baskets

IF,,, a stripping "basket/devise/gizmo" is worn too high my hand hits it but waves don't. Too low and waves hit it but my hand doesn't. Some place in between and waves hit it and so does my hand. When I do use one, I hang it low enough so my hand does not hit it, but do not wade deep enough for most waves to hit it; I run back on shore when I see a big wave on the way.

Here is how the lower-left coast crowd is coping:

and...

The lower photo shows the LL Bean Basket ($19.95) with the addition of a Pool Noodle Hand Bumper and Emegency float.

Both anglers have Sea Run Cuthroat to hand

I have a few collapsible stripping baskets and in the scheme of things I find them more trouble than they are worth. I tend to try and perservere with my rigid LL Bean jobbie which has been around the world with me. Just make sure that it is well packed in the suitcase.

Another I have been trying recently is the flexi-stripper

The spikes can be clipped in and out quite easily.

What kind of fly did the skate take? All of the above comments are very interesting. I had no idea there was such a variety of stripping baskets. I learn something new everyday here.

ive got the william joseph

only @ $30, works ok for me
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Quote Originally Posted by Jonezee
    What kind of fly did the skate take? All of the above comments are very interesting. I had no idea there was such a variety of stripping baskets. I learn something new everyday here.
    FYI-I snagged both of those SoCal SurfZone pics from a recent post by Richard Cullip on Gary Bulla's BBS...Post still there

Therefore-no clue on the fly. Yet I'll guess probably something Orange.

Has anyone tried the stripping baskets which feathercraft sells?

I have a question for all of you hard basket advocates. In some of the readings I have done on stripping baskets, some have said that the basket must have drain holes in order for the line to remain in the basket should a wave occur. I have also read where there are items available to keep the line separate or in coils to make casting easier. Are these NOT used in the fabric baskets? I love the idea of a wash tub type of basket with cones that can be customized with a rod holder and other things but for us "girls" who very often lack the height to support these baskets and tubs, I have wondered if the soft type that could be adjusted somewhat might not be a better way to go. Last month while attempting to surfish in Florida, the waves were so bad that I was almost got knocked over more than once so I just gave up and lost an entire day to not being able to fish. I did have fun trying but it was frustating at not being able to get the line out past where the waves were breaking even though I can cast at 40ft +. I know these questions probably sound really dumb but I am a newbie to flyfishing the salt.

Yes Gerri,you want drain holes in the hard basket because a wave can knock you over if the basket fills with water.This is especially important when fishing from jettys.Most hard baskets have cones built in then to keep the line coils separated but soft baskets lack these.This is one of their biggest drawbacks.The soft baskets are also a bad choice for the surf as wave hitting them will tangle the line.I understand your frustration with the waves but its a learning experience.Try standing sideways to the waves and casting at an angle to the waves instead of straight toward them.I find casting this way gives my fly more drift time and less casting hassles.

Gerri,

For me it depends where I am fishing. If I am in the surf a stripping basket full of water is not only uncomfortable it can be dangerous; also if you are using a floater it become pretty much useless. In these situations I use one with drainage.

When fishing calmer waters I generally use a stripping basket without the drainage holes as I can wade a little bit deeper and not worry about water filling the basket from below. The rigid basket also protects the line from the wind.

I use the flexi-stripper then there is little wind and I am not wading more than thigh high. It is nice and light and holds the line pretty well in these conditions.

+ Reply to Thread