+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safeguarding a Rod in Canoe or Kayak

Default Safeguarding a Rod in Canoe or Kayak

Do any of you lash a safety cord or something to your rod so it doesn't go to the great underwater graveyard? If so, can you describe what and how it is rigged? How do you manage it while you are casting?

Please don't ask why I want to know.....

Jim

Default Leash

When I first started I took my old 5wt which had a rubber plug on the end of the reel seet, removed the plug and hot glued in a piece of parachute cord about 6 feet long. I tied the free end to the the boat. An earlier attempt tieing the line to the reel foot was very unacceptable as it fouled the rod every cast. The leash out the bottom was not too bad.

I have since done away with any leash and am very careful when I 'yak or toob. I do fish floating fly line so I figure if I drop it the line will float up and I can (hopefully) retrieve it that way.

I have lost more rods in parking lots than I have from a 'yak or toob.

Budd
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Hi Jim,

I don't like to use a leash on my rod while fishing but I do when I'm
    paddling from spot to spot. I had a recessed paddle holder with a
    bungee retainer on the side of my Yak that looked as if it would hold
    a rod OK. I was mistaken and on one trip when I reached for the rod,
    it was not there. Hated that! So now, yes, I use a leash while
    traveling, but not while fishing. Warm regards, Jim

Default Magically disappearing rods

Jim, similar experience except not while paddling. I had just netted a nice fat rainbow for that nights dinner. Reached back down for the rod and it was GONE. Neither I nor my wife who was seated watching the whole affair saw or heard it leave the boat. Just amazing.

Fortunately, it was not a high dollar setup.

I think it's a plot by the equipment manufacturers.

Budd, I figured a lash would be a pain. I like the ideal of coming out the end of the grip. I might look to see if that would work on one of my rods. Might have to customize.

Jim

I would advise you to tether everything that you are not willing to loose. Cabelas sells nice paddling leashes that attach to the real seat with velcro.

I also like Scotty's Fly Rod Holders. I have had a mishap where I rolled the kayak and the flyrod stayed in the Scotty Holder all the way around!

You can buy small diameter bungee cord (1/8" Diameter) and make your own tethers (Leashes). Plain ole cord works to; although dealing with the extra line, at times, can be challenging.

There are a lot of Kayak Fishing websites that sell specialty gear for yak anglers and that gear would also apply to a lot of canoe anglers as well.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

I normally fish with low end equipment so I don't worry TOO much.

I secure the extra rods in one way or another but don't worry about the one I'm fishing with as I'll get out and wade with the kayak staked out or tied to something or tethered to my beltloop. For that reason I couldn't (wouldn't) fasten a leash to my rod.

Ninety percent of the time or more I'd be able to retrieve my rod/reel as I am in water that probably averages 3 feet deep. Crossing a channel or hole would be about the only times it would be too deep to easily retrieve.

I do see where this rod leash would come in handy for fishing deeper lakes/bays.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Default Water depth

Gil, I wish we had been on the shallows.

The lake was about 30 feet deep where we were, and since we were drifting at the time and didn't know when it went over, we had no clue even where to attempt dredging. Like you, I only take moderately priced gear over water. The main issue for the day was we were limited to one rod between us. Didn't bring a spare.

But I did have my tackle bag with $$ reels and all my flies in the boat. I will definitely start strapping it to a seat rail in case of capsize.

Jim

Welcome back FL_SKIBUM,,,

Default My fishing buddy's canoe rod holders

2 inch PVC pipes are plastic tie/strapped under the thwarts along the inside of the canoe sides, about 2 PVC pipe/holders on the port and 2 on the starboard side for transporting rods, no lash or safety cord while using the rods (too much casting restriction).
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Welcome back FL_SKIBUM,,,
    Why thank you!
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

+ Reply to Thread