+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: portable stripping baskets

Hey for $20.00, the LL Bean hard basket is worth a try. If it doesn't work out-you can always use it for a gardening tote

I bought a Kennebec River collapse able and like it..has a ridged frame of fiberglass when setup and can be placed anywhere you need it and will conform to your body at any position you want to use it in..just spin the whole belt and basket behind you for walking from spot to spot..no need to even reel in your line...Packs into it's own mesh storage pouch at the end of the day...more food for thought.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

How long have you used it and has anyone else on this forum used it?

For me personally, the rigid stripping baskets work a whole lot better. I have an Orvis basket, similar to the L.L. Bean basket in the picture.

Just a thought. If you need a "portable" stripping basket, bear in mind they are easy to make as long as you have the materials. Mateials would be

(1) Bungee cord or belt for your waist
    (2) Cable ties, weed eater or weed wacker line
    (3) Dishpan of proper size
    (4) Something to drill holes with

All but (3) could be easily packed, so bring (1), (2), and (4) with you. That's to avoid having to run around for materials. Buy a (3) once you arrive and make the stripping basket on site. Leave (3) behind when you leave. It would be a very minor expense compared to the rest of your trip, whereever it's going to be.

You need to work out the configuration that works for you beforehand. After I figured out a mesh basket wasn't going to work for me, I made one from a dish pan, and used it with a bungee cord. The bungee cord wasn't the proper length for my waist size, so it was just too uncomfortable. I fooled around until too late for the next time out and wound up buying the commercial Orvis basket at the last minute.

But I've seen lots of good surf fly casters use the homemade kind and they seem to work just fine.

+ Reply to Thread