I use Orvis Deep Water(hour glass) eyes in the small size(1/8 by 1/4) or gold or copperbeads in the 5/32 size by Rumpf and occassionally nymph bead gold large by Hook & Hackle.I opted to use the rabbit fur as a trailer because I was concerned with the weight of an added plastic grub and also the interferrence with the grubs action by the legs on the jig.I got the idea from fishing jigs(especially the 1/8 oz size)on casting tackle and in that case I always used either a plastc grub or plastic frog.If you were to use a plastic grub (I have on 5 and 6 wgt rods)I wrap a 20lb monofilament spike right at the top of hook bend to keep grub in place.I have also made these jig flies as tube flies,using the plastic Q tip hollow tube or 1/16 inch brass tubing(purhased from a hobby shop).In this case I use only the hour glass weight by Orvis.If you are concerned with depht(which I am in summer and winter)I go to a short segment of sinking line which I splice into a floating head that I use on my 2 wgt or use a conventional sink tip on a 5 wgt glass rod I like to use at times.Hope this helps answering your questions-----by the way my best day last summer I caught many,many large bluegills,and redbreast and 17 Alabamma spotted bass which went up to 3 1/2 lbs all on a 2 wgt(Avid).