Hello All

Just returned home this evening from a week of R&R in the Keys. We rented a great house right on the water on Lower Matecumbe Key and had a blast. Now this was a family vacation so the hardcore 24/7 fishing was not to happen this time around. While I did not get in near the fishing that I typically would, spending a week in paradise I did get some in here and there and had fun doing it.

For the most part, the weather cooperated very nicely although it sure was HOT! Highs were in the 87-90F range with overnight lows in the mid to high 70??s. With the exception of a couple days, the winds were light and favorable. This made for great sight-fishing for Tarpon, Bonefish and Sharks on the Oceanside flats and in Florida Bay. I have never seen so many Bonefish and Tarpon before in all my trips to the Keys. On Friday morning I was absolutely covered up by school after school of Bonefish that were feeding and tailing on the incoming tide. At times I had as many as 8 groups of fish within 50 yards of my skiff. It was fantastic. We also had numerous visits from Lemon Sharks up to 6.5ft in length and a few bonus Tarpon.

One morning I took my wife and 2 boys (3 years and 6 years) out on the flats and they got to see many Bonefish, some Tarpon and plenty of sharks. Both boys got to catch a mix of Lemon and Nurse Sharks and they thoroughly enjoyed it. They got to see and learn about the Sting Rays, jellyfish and other creatures of the flats as well. I also spent one morning guiding my parents on the flats. It was great to get them into so many fish. We had a ball hooking up lots of fish and seeing the sights. The Bonefish swarmed us like flies and it was a sight to see. A couple real good Lemon sharks pushing nearly 7?? in less than 2 feet of water was a treat as well.

One of the many highlights was scoring this nice Permit on the fly on Thursday. We targeted them on shallow water wrecks and they came to the crab fly well. We also caught plenty of Dolphin on the fly earlier in the day as well.

All in all it was a great trip and finally spending quality time with the wife and kids was fantastic.

A great fish is released to thrill another angler

The catches could have been much greater but it was a grea time. I lost a couple monsters including a nice 90lb Tarpon that threw the fly on the first cart-wheel and a fiestly Blacktip Shark of over 100lbs that parted the leader after an impressive air show.

There's always next time

------------------
Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Fish (edited 28 May 2005).]