+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jean-Guy Cote

Default Jean-Guy Cote

It is a sad day for the world of tying. Jean-Guy Cote passed away in his sleep last night (July 11, 2006). Jean-Guy as most know, founded the UNI-Products company some years ago. His products have helped tyers for many years.

Jean-Guy's long and very difficult battle with cancer is at long last over. I can't relate the details of his passing but to say that it was terrible and the end was welcomed.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Fly tying fraternity has lost a great member.
    If there is a fly fishing Hall of Fame,
    there should be a place in it for Jean-Guy.
    A new fly fishing museum is being open in Waterloo Quebec, where there is going to be an exhibit about his work and his donated collections.
    Some of the FAOL's well wishes were included by him and his wife Michele in to his last album.
    I will remember him as a teacher and a friend.
    Faruk Ekich

Hi Faruk,

My good friend and one of Jean-Guy's best friends told me about JG's donations to the museum. One good thing was that JG had time to get all of his affairs in order before he left us. There was a documentary done of him too and Marc is sending me a copy. It's in French though so I will have to try to follow it without the verbage.

The UNI company was bought by Martin L?pine who was the top guy under JG. I guess the fellow who also worked with them on the machines and would have been the one to move and setup the machines has just found out that he has cancer throughout his body and has only a couple weeks to go!

What a turn of events. I feel so sorry for all of them.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Hi Ron,
    Those discs(two) that Marc Madore is sending you are unedited, original work which will be made into 30 min. program by CBC about his life. Jean-Guy insisted that it is titled: " Life of a fly tyer", not a title with his name. I have that set of discs and waching it learned more about his early life as a 14 year old comercial fly tyer and people that influenced him.
    I had a good fortune to visit him for a whole afternoon last month.
    He was in a good spirit and we said our good bye. After that visit, last part of that program was filmed.
    If you have someone to translate for you
    it would be beter as this is in a form of an interview.
    Regards
    Faruk

It is a sad day indeed! Jean Guy was a gentleman and a friend. I know he was going to try some new treatment for the cancer in his hip that normal treatment couldn't touch. I guess, sadly, it didn't work. I know he and Faruk were very good friends and at the shows if I saw one of them I would probably be seeing the other. There is an empty space in the fly tying world now and a sad spot in my heart. I shall always remember his pleasant smile and gentle maner.
    May you be in God's creel Jean Guy.

Jean Guy was a supporter of this website for many years. Besides his financial support as a Sponsor, he also encouraged us to bring as much information to our readers as possible. Which with the help of all of our friends we will continue. Our condolances to his wife and many friends. A very sad day for me as well.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

.....*sigh*...the ranks of the best these last few years seem to be getting shorter all the time.....my heart felt sympathy to all who knew the man & his products
    ...so many boo rods, so many trout....do I have enough time?...

A sad day indeed as we face the loss of another of the greats in our industry. It seems like we are losing quite a few of the bigger names in our industry lately and most seem due to a disease rather than old age.

RIP Jean-Guy

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://www.jamiescustomflies.com:2721d]Jamie's Fly & Tackle Shop[/url:2721d]

+ Reply to Thread