+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feathers get old and Pearsall's thread?

Default Feathers get old and Pearsall's thread?

Okay, I went to tie some soft hackles yesterday and the partridge I tried to use was difficult. It seemed that the barbules would fall off just by looking at them! I'm no movie star, but geez! Do feathers get old and brittle and fall apart on their own. I didn't have time to try some others. Also is there is a good substitute for Pearsall's Silk thread for soft hackles?
    Thank you in advance,
    Mike

Not exactly sure what you mean by the 'barbules falling off'. Is that after or while you are tying? If you are using feathers from one of those little bags, I'm no surprised you are having issues because the quality of those loose feathers is usually pretty bad. From a skin is much better. Just off the top of my head, one solution if you want to muddle through with what you have is put the barbules in a dubbing loop. Keep in mind it does not take much.

There are other silks out there to replace Pearsall, but tying thread and floss are reasonable substitutes.

Thanks whatfly. The feathers, still on the skin, are falling apart as I try to wrap the hackle. I couldn't figure out why my fly was so lopsided. I'll try some others I have. I did try some floss, but it seemed to be very difficult to whip finish. I'll try some thinner floss.
    Thanks again, Mike

I tire in the floss with thread and then wrap it up and tie off with thread at the front.
    Much smaller than a whip finish with floss.

Rick

Thanks Rick, another trick to try. I also need to start my hackle back a little further and not try to wrap too much.
    I'll get these under control.
    Mike

Melk,

Are you tying in by the tip or the butt? Some people actually pull off one side of the feather before tying, and if you are going to err, err on the side of the lighter the better.

If you are using multistrand floss (i.e. can it be separated), try just using a single strand as Rick Z. described.

whatfly I've been tying in by the butt, leaving some stem bare and making a triangle at the upper end. Yes, I reread "North Country Flies" and will very soon try the hackle with much less stuff on it. If I get one decent I'll post it here to celebrate!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Before whip finishing floss it is much less hassle if you wax the floss in the area of the whip finish.

+ Reply to Thread