+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Been Gone Too Long...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    Hi Paul. Good to see you. Jim
    Hey Jim ! Good to hear from ya!!!
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

I hear you Jim ...... I just showed up myself today after a loooong time

Hi, Jim !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    Hi Paul. Good to see you. Jim
    --Author unknown

I have been gone a long time as well. I lost my wife a couple of years ago and I guess it kinda knocked the starch out of me. I haven't been moping, but neither have I had ambition to maintain several hobbies and interests that kept me occupied in the past. FAOL was a casualty of my lethargy. This is the first year of my life since I was fourteen, that I haven't bought a fishing license, and I'm 75 now. I haven't tied a fly in a couple of years, and I fear I've lost dexterity as well as knowhow. I just covered up the boat for the winter that I bought last summer. I haven't had it out since I bought it. I've determined that the quote from the "Shawshank Redemption" movie would be applicable to my case. "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'". Maybe I can renew some old acquaintances here. Betty probably doesn't remember me, and I haven't had a chance to look around yet, but I will.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Lew, I understand your lethargy, dealing with change is so hard when you're our age. Why don't you try tying some "mop flies"? They're so easy and effective and you can have fun collecting the materials.

The lethargy was eatin' me up too, Lew....a combination of a symptom of depression and a symptom of low testosterone. Talked to medical folks, got fixed up, and now I'm much more energetic. But it all started in a very similar way for me, Lew.
    You could summon up some of that defiance you surely have, and stare down that lethargy thing.....see what your doctor says.
    --Author unknown

LEW!!!! Of course I remember you!!! I'm thrilled to see you here again!! The house is starting to get some lights on again!

It is hard when life throws a challenge at us that absolutely takes the wind out of our sails. Hard to get one foot in front of the other, and keep moving. We're all here to help in that movement, most of us having been there ourselves.

After not having tied flies for almost four years, the first ones I tied looked pretty scraggily ... but the fish didn't care! Give it a whirl!

It's so good to have you home!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Warm fuzzies going on here! Thanks for the replies. I've seen a few things on mop flies, but haven't pursued them. I'll give it a look. I think you're spot on PRM. I don't feel depressed, but I know that it doesn't necessesarily manifest that way. Don't think I've had a hormone in years. I'll ask next time in. Betty, I've loved lurking over your shoulder for a long time. How did your battle with the big C turn out? Hope you're still going strong! I've got cabin fever, and it isn't even winter, so I'm going to rely on the gang here for support and distraction. I joined a singles choir several months ago, and we're working on about a dozen songs for our Christmas concert, so thats been keeping me busy on Sunday evenings. Need more physical activity.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

The house is starting to get some lights on again!
    Well put Betty

Good to hear from you Lew

This site is a comfort zone.....

Be safe all.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

LEW & PRM, hard to believe I joined this forum almost 12 years ago? Been through some major changes myself, I am looking forward to getting back to square one with some of the good parts of life. Start tying flies again, Lew its a good way to pass the time when its cold outside. Plan a trip, time to enjoy the simple things.

+ Reply to Thread