+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best strike indicators?

Tommy at South River Fly shop showed me these "CorQs", http://strikeindicators.corqsflyfishing.com/
    very similar to thingamabobbers, but they also give an educational feed back on how drag free your drift is, I like them a little better. As I run out of the thingamabobbers I am switching.
    As far as the kinking with thingamabobbers, I also use furled leaders and kinking is not a problem, but dont use that little toothpick thing that now comes attached, cut that off and discard. The corqs use a rubber gasket instead of the metal ring and hard plastic in a thingamabobber, and I think it kinks much less.
    Last edited by pillcaster; 09-13-2016 at 01:34 AM.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

If you like Thingamabobbers, other than the kinking and slippage, you might want to try these modications suggested by Gary Borger ...
    http://www.garyborger.com/2015/04/24...-a-ma-bobbers/

I mostly use heavier, bright Amnesia for the butt section of my nymph leaders. The bright butt section serves as a "sighter" for tightline nymphing without an indicator most of the time. However, I can add a Thingamabobber to the heavy (15# butt section) when I need to. It seems to hold without slipping and the kinks can be removed by stretching the leader section.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    If you like Thingamabobbers, other than the kinking and slippage, you might want to try these modications suggested by Gary Borger ...
    http://www.garyborger.com/2015/04/24...-a-ma-bobbers/
    An interesting idea but seems a bit wrong headed because in my experience the ring is the weak point of the Thingamabobber and Borger's 'solution' is going to dramatically reduce the lifetime of the bobber. How much exactly is hard to say, but much easier to just thicken up the leader.

And at the risk of hijacking the thread, exactly why is everyone so worried about kinking their leader? One hears this complaint over and over again, but no idea why it is relevant when all one is doing is nymphing. As long as the kinks are not sharp enough to weaken the leader significantly, this really seams like a pointless worry.

The search for the perfect indicator is one of those eternal quests I think. I've tried pretty much all of them and had the same disappointments with the Thingamabobber that had originally seemed so promising. The most ideal solution for me has been the Float Master as mentioned previously. They're not as broadly distributed as a lot of the others, but you can order them online from plenty of places. They're as close to perfect as anything I've found so far.

I don't use indicators much, but I've had good luck with this: http://www.strikeindicator.com/

I like the live bait floats too

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    And at the risk of hijacking the thread, exactly why is everyone so worried about kinking their leader? One hears this complaint over and over again, but no idea why it is relevant when all one is doing is nymphing. As long as the kinks are not sharp enough to weaken the leader significantly, this really seams like a pointless worry.
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I often use the same leader with and without an indicator and I'm not fond of the kinks and curls left behind when the indicator is removed.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Blog Entries

I also don't like the kinks. If you have to adjust the depth of the flies then you start getting kinks in two or three places. I have often thought of the kinks as acting like a spring. When a fish takes a fly the kinks would start to straighten out prior to telegraphing the message to the strike indicator. It seems to me that you could miss a lot of strikes that way.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread