+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lead free wire vs lead

Default lead free wire vs lead

I noticed I accidentally ordered lead free .025 wire from J Stockard instead of the regular old lead stuff. I'm not going to send it back, but just wondered if it really is much different, other than being about 40% lighter (and therefore, I assume, less effective in adding weight), and 50% more expensive. I seem to remember there some places that require lead free, I wonder how do they enforce that.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    I seem to remember there some places that require lead free, I wonder how do they enforce that.
    I'm guessing it's based on the honor system; I doubt that Fish and Game offices in those states employ on-stream metallurgists to open up flies and test for lead. Since I fish a bit in Yellowstone (where it's not allowed) I dumped all my lead a while ago; if the fly's not heavy enough, I'll add non-tox split-shot.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

The GSMNP has also banned lead and as Scott stated I have also stopped using lead many years ago. My flies get down if they don't add split shot.

I'm with Scott and have stopped using lead. The lead free fly tying wire and shot are good enough for most usage and you can always use tungsten if needed.

Blog Entries

Really don't understand why folks use lead given that the scientific consensus seems to be that using lead can damage wildlife? Why not play it safe and use non-lead substitutes?

And it's not safe for the tier, either. If you do use lead wire, keep your fingers away from your mouth and eyes, and wash your hands after the tying session.

Chuck

With the additional use of brass or tungsten bead (if necessary for some added weight) the lead free wire has worked out fine for me.

Still use lead whenever I can, obviously only if it's legal. I use it in my flies and still use lead splitshot.

Rarely weight flies except for beads, but when I do it is always lead-free, because when I fish waters where it matters, I do not want to have to guess which are which. Still prefer lead split-shot to Dinsmores, again, where ever it is legal.

I use tungsten beads and lead sub wire. However i still use good old gremlin splitshot where legal. Same with birdshot.

+ Reply to Thread