Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
For years I used a St Croix LU 4 pc 6wt when fishing for Smallies. Recently I switched over to a Level 7wt from Rise Fishing Co. I really like the rod. Well balanced and cast and fishes very nicely. They also make the rod in a 6wt. http://risefishing.com/salt-water-fly-rod.html

While I have not cast one, I have heard good things about the TFO Mangrove Series.

Dave
Not to hijack, but

I, too have heard good things about that rod. I went with the BVK mainly because of overall weight. I have an Orvis power matrix 6wt saltwater rod I was using for smallies, but that bad boy weighs almost 5 ounces and after a couple hours I could feel it. The BVK, even with the fighting butt, is still just a little over 3 ounces. The downside of the BVK is there has been some reported breakage issues. I have fished a 6wt w/o the fighting butt ever since they first came out and have not had any problems. Of course, the TFO warranty will make you well if you do break one, but if you lose the "fish of a lifetime" because it breaks, well..... The same criticism has been leveled at the Orvis light weight rod lines, I saw a guide break his helos trying a roll cast.