+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "All Purpose" Nymph

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Could someone please draw a line for me please? Both the flies above look like great fish takers, but to me they would be wet flies. What is the difference between a wet fly, specifically one that imitates a nymph, and a nymph? This is something that I have puzzled over for many years.

As for my go to nymph I would have to say its my BiColour Nymph, however it is more a way of tying a nymph than a particular pattern. It can be tied in many colour and weight variations. Here's some I use on the lochs for rainbows. The yellow dyed pheasant tail is a good bit "louder" than I would use for wild browns.
    Attachment 13049

I tie a reversed version for a "drifting nymph" which was a FOTW from some time back. It will give you some idea of how those are tied.

Cheers,
    A.
    Alan, those are spectacular. I will have to tie some of those.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Many years ago,now, I was in West Yellowstone on a fishing trip. I believe the FFF owned the building next to the old train station at that time? Anyway, it was then a fly fishing museum. I happened to walk in to look around. I was completely taken aback when I saw an entire case of what I believed were the finest looking stoneflies I had ever seen! I had no idea, at that time, who George Grant was. Since then, I became a big fan of his and acquired a box of his woven flies. When I first saw them that day, I thought to myself, "That's the end of fly tying stoneflies. Everyone will be using these". I had no idea how they were made or anything.
    RIP George Grant.

+ Reply to Thread