+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "All Purpose" Nymph

Maybe another 'fly category'? WAIT! Wasn't there a very recent, long winded discussion about that, LOL?

For an all purpose nymph I'll have to go with a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear in size 16 or more likely an 18. But recently the first nymph I tie on is Davie McPhail's Catgut Caddis Pupa. Terrific fly.
    This is a picture of it soaked - McPhail's tie, not mine. I tie mine in bright green.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Billingsley; 06-06-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Pink Squirrel.

On Wisconsin!

AlanB

Classified of nymphs versus wet flies will probably be a matter of personal opinion. I prefer to think of it in terms of the bugs you are hoping to suggest. On my home trout waters which are tail waters there are a dozen or so different mayflies and caddis are available to the fish all year. The vast majority of the mayflies are clinger type nymphs with quite pronounced legs so soft hackles work well to suggest them drifting in the current. The caddis pupae can also be well imitated with a soft hackle drift and swing.
    A number of the the mayflies could be imitated by a pheasant tail nymph tied with longer legs but a soft hackle is a quicker tie.

Add midge and bwo imitations and a few streamers and you have my home waters covered

This might be of interest: http://flyanglersonline.com/features...edff/part1.php
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 06-06-2014 at 05:53 PM.

I have always thought of the Flymph as a cross between a wet fly and a nymph which is why it is called a "Flymph". To me, a collar is more representative of a wet fly and when I tie my Flymphs, I palmer the hackle part way down the thorax area or through all of the thorax area. Doing this gives a collar, as in a wet fly, and legs, as in a nymph. All I really know is that a "Flymph" has always been a good fish catcher for me and I call it my American Express because I never leave home to fly fish without it!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

While the idea appeals to me, I do not believe there is an 'all purpose' nymph. I know of no pattern that scales adequately that I would use it in any situation (#22-8). Sure you can shoehorn any pattern into whatever size you like, but that is just a sign of stubbornness or inflexibility. I have several trusted patterns that I'll use in various situations, but no single pattern I would use in any situation.

Oddly enough, I would not give the same answer if you asked about an 'all purpose' dry fly...but that's another thread.

Blog Entries

I intend to try this color-modified RFSN for a dark stone this summer and see if it will produce.

pheasant tail. don't really use anything else
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I use a lot of nymphs but my go-to is a custom PT nymph I tie:
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Could someone please draw a line for me please? Both the flies above look like great fish takers, but to me they would be wet flies. What is the difference between a wet fly, specifically one that imitates a nymph, and a nymph? This is something that I have puzzled over for many years.

As for my go to nymph I would have to say its my BiColour Nymph, however it is more a way of tying a nymph than a particular pattern. It can be tied in many colour and weight variations. Here's some I use on the lochs for rainbows. The yellow dyed pheasant tail is a good bit "louder" than I would use for wild browns.
    Attachment 13049

I tie a reversed version for a "drifting nymph" which was a FOTW from some time back. It will give you some idea of how those are tied.

Cheers,
    A.
    Alan, those are spectacular. I will have to tie some of those.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread