Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer, Antique Gold
    Hackle: Whiting Coq de Leon hen
    Tail: Whiting Coq de Leon hen barbs
    Body: Fox squirrel - in split thread, silk allowed to bleed through

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gt1cg7nU7k

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

This fly has a scruffy elegance. I simply must practice on my split thread technique. Usually it takes me so long to split the thread I end up doing a dubbing loop.

Beautiful fly!

Hans,

As you know, I am mostly a subsurface fly fisherman and I really like this pattern. That's my type of fly and even though I have not tied it up yet, I KNOW it will produce for me! Thank you, so much, for sharing it
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

That is a nice fly. Hans, I noticed you use the split thread method for dubbing in several of your videos. Why not use the loop method? Just curious.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    That is a nice fly. Hans, I noticed you use the split thread method for dubbing in several of your videos. Why not use the loop method? Just curious.
    TyroneFly,

Thet two techniques are largely overlapping. Especially on trout size patterns the control and the fact that there is no tie-down point makes me opt for the split thread technique.

Cheers,
    Hans W

Hi,

Preface: I have never used the 'split thread' method but I intend to try it soon.
    Having said that, I realize I hadn't considered the benefit that Hans cited. He said, "there is no tie-down point ." Also, reading Hans' comment, I realize there's no 'tie-off' point either. I can see another benefit to the 'split' method versus using a 'loop'. If you're using 8/0 thread and prepare a dubbing loop, the thread becomes twice as thick. Split the thread and it stays the same thickness. Lastly, you won't need to look and fumble for, or use, a dubbing twister.
    Just a few immediate thoughts.

Allan

Cool

Thank you for that Allan. Because I have dried cracked fingers during my tying season I tend to use either the loop dubbing method or when using the Nor Vise, the catch method. I like the easy at which Han's video shows the split method for dubbing and need to give that a try based on your observations. One of the draw backs to the catch method for me is that I can't get the dubbing to give me that buggy look. It tends to be attach smooth on the thread unless I add some guard hairs to the mix, but even then it's not buggy enough.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

It tends to be attach smooth on the thread unless I add some guard hairs to the mix, but even then it's not buggy enough.
    All depends on the mix you inset. How much more spiky/buggy than you can see in the Fer-de-Lance do you want/need it to be?
    Try it with seal, and optionally run a velcro stick along the body.

Cheers,
    Hans W

Hi Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post

Preface: I have never used the 'split thread' method but I intend to try it soon.
    Having said that, I realize I hadn't considered the benefit that Hans cited. He said, "there is no tie-down point ." Also, reading Hans' comment, I realize there's no 'tie-off' point either.
    In my short response to TyroneFly where I said "no tie-down point" this was referring to the finishing off point after the body has been formed. Let's call that the end-point.

The same clean start is there for the start-point.

I can see another benefit to the 'split' method versus using a 'loop'. If you're using 8/0 thread and prepare a dubbing loop, the thread becomes twice as thick. Split the thread and it stays the same thickness.
    It is in fact is more than that. With the split thread 'rope' from bend to eye there will have been a total of two thread layers. With a dubbing loop there will be four.

The smaller the hook and more slender the body, the more this will factor in.

Lastly, you won't need to look and fumble for, or use, a dubbing twister.
    Ah, but I need to pick up the bodkin

Play and experiment a bit with the split thread technique and feed back your comments. I will be interested to hear.

Cheers,
    Hans W

+ Reply to Thread