+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Fly Fishing

Default North Carolina Fly Fishing

Hello fellow anglers,
    I'll be in Badin NC for a while and I should have weekends off. Tell me where there is some decent trout fishing fairly close by.

Thanks,
    Rich

Just so you know Badin is about an hour east of Charlotte.

I Googled as much as I could about the area, but all I could come up with was bass fishing. Not a bad thing in itself.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

The trout streams in NC are all north and west of Charlotte, that I am aware of. The mountains of western NC are loaded with fantastic trout streams, but I'd guess you'd be looking at 2.5 or 3 hours drive to trout water.
    Hope this helps some.
    Mark 1:17

Rich;
    Darrin is correct. But is a 4 hour + drive for you to Cherokee. Myself and Kaboom1 plan to fish in Cherokee before the start of Trout Fest over in Townsend, TN
    http://www.fishcherokee.com/

Jack,
    I will be in and out of here for possibly close to a year and a half. I should be off weekends most of the time. 4 hours is not real bad I suppose. What type of gear does a guy need to fish the smokies? I have a 3 and 4 Wt. BIIT Winston. Do I need waders and is felt OK??

As far as states that have banned the use of felt soles goes, here is the most recent info I've been able to find.
    http://www.stopans.org/Felt_Bans.htm

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Rich;
    The rocks can be a bit slippery so definatly felt. I'd add a 5 wt to the quiver and a short (7') rod. A member (Stream) is in the Cherokee area and has been a big help with information on our trip. He comes in the Chat Room often around 8 pm CDT and weve been exchanging info.
    Also there is a fly fishing contest the week end of Trout Fest, be a good weekend to go up in the park.

OK guys, I will be headed back to MO for a couple of weeks so I'll bring my gear back with me. I have a BIIIX also so I'll bring all three rods. When I get back here I'll do more research and talk to others in the chat about the area.
    Thanks,
    Rich

If you are in badin you are at the uwharrie mountains,now these are ancient mountains with the tallest 936 so don't expect trout here,what you can find though is smallmouth bass in the lake and river,most are 8-12" long so no lunkers.The closetest trout would be in mitchell river to you a hour and a half at the most,you also have south mountain state park and stone mountain state park,but these will be hammered now with the weather the way it is,stay clear on weekends...
    Your biggest problem in NC now is people who fish in the flyfish only streams and delayed harvest streams,they are going to keep what they catch,period.We have had alot of problems with mexicans spearing trout,setting nets out and gaffing them with large treble hooks,and we don't have enough game wardens to make a dent in the problem.Because of this and long drive times for me i have basically given up on trout except 3-4 times a year and like it better in the cold months because of little to no people out.

+ Reply to Thread