+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my nephew has landed in Afganistan,,,,,

Hybrid View

Default my nephew has landed in Afganistan,,,,,

....with the 133 MP company at Camp Clark. I have his address(and emai), so what do I mail to him? Will food get there? My wife said she heard they like to get movies... Any suggestions from all you vets would be appreciated. With email, maybe letters are kinda outdated.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Going back to my days in SE Asia any mail is welcome and appriciated. Books are great as they can be passed around for everyone to enjoy. Anything special he likes to read? We could start a collection.

Pillcaster, Any food stuff you send has to be non perishable. Top ramen, cookies, lip balm, and International calling cards would be high on my list. Books, crossword puzzles, and maybe a subscription to his hometown newspaper would be nice.Good luck to your nephew and God bless him. My grandson is in Boot Camp now. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I came back from my 3rd tour in May of this year. It depends on the size of operating base he is on, really. Most of the "normal" amenities enjoyed in the states is available on the larger bases. Homemade cookies were always welcomed as there is never a substitute for homemade goodies (especially from Mom ). If he is out on smaller forward operating bases as I was all bets are off. Items needed will range from personal hygiene items needed (soap, toothpaste, razors, toothbrushes, shaving cream, lip balm, etc) to any type of food (ramen, slim jims, jerky, sunflour seeds, canned goods, microwaveable stuff like mac n cheese). For entertainment, I believe the posts above got it right. My parents sent me all the hometown newspapers, which was nice since I am from a really small town in North Dakota and it was cool to keep up. Any other items that would remind the service member of home that he/she cannot get there is always a good choice as well (I know that is broad, but each person is different) along with cards for special occasions and actual (not digital) photos of life back home. Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

+ Reply to Thread