+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I got to see and try the new NuCanoe Frontier!!!WOW

Default I got to see and try the new NuCanoe Frontier!!!WOW

Folks you won't believe the new Frontier 12 boat that NuCanoe is coming out with in January! They are touring the country showing dealers their new boat for 2012 and they were here this past Tuesday and I got to try one out and it is just amazing what this model will do. My 10' NuCanoe has been great and the only thing I would not do in it was stand up. My knees are not what they use to be and neither is my balance, but, in this new model, it is very easy to stand up and there is no struggle to maintain your balance. I was able to stand, fly fish and paddle standing!! It is just wonderful!! Now I guess I will have to save up my pennies and plan on getting one after the first of the year when this model is available. You can even run a trolling motor and be standing up! They have changed the interior and made more room for your feet. They even have a rod storage area and I put an 8 1/2' fly rod in it with no problems! The seats are on 2 channels where you just losen to knobs and slide the seats where ever you want them. The seat track is great and you can even mount other accessories in it.

They have really come with a great boat and here is a link to the videos that were made here. I put this boat to the test and am on some of the videos so just excuse my ugly face and look at what you can do with this new Frontier 12 NuCanoe. After the first of the year I hope to have a Frontier 12 loaded in the back of my Nissan Frontier truck!! Perfect...I almost forgot, it also is self-bailing! Water will drain out from the inside of the boat as you use it through two outlets built into it. Now there will not be any water around your feet! Just an amazing fly fishing machine and I will own one!! : )

http://www.nucanoe.com/frontier/videos/
    Last edited by WarrenP; 10-27-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Curious about the cost.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Great review Warren. Appreciate you posting it.
    I have a Nissan Frontier also.......perfect!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Wow is right. I have enjoyed my 10' in the Shenandoah this year (17 trips) and really enjoyed it. But, it would be nice to stand and cast sometimes and you do get some water getting in and out. Sounds like they have perfected the design.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Lotech,

When I talked to him about the cost he said that it would be around $1,100 which is not bad for what this boat has to offer. I think he said it weighs around 76 pounds and the Transportation Cart will work great on it.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

pillcaster,

Like you, I have really enjoyed my 10' NuCanoe, but, this Frontier 12 really has more features that I will enjoy even more. The standing is so easy and I really never had any problems with balance. I felt very comfortable while standing and secure. When you add a sliding seat adjuster, standing stability, rod storage, self bailing and more room, it just does not get any better. I will have one. It really shows that they listened to their customers and made the changes.

....anyone want to buy my fully rigged 10 footer? !! : ).....
    Warren

I have never paddled a NuCanoe and they might well be as wonderful as you state. But 76 pounds!! The two canoes I use most often do not weight that much together! Oh my aching back. That would be a challenge to get on top of an SUV.
    David

"That would be a challenge to get on top of an SUV."

1. I have owned canoes and enjoyed them but never enjoyed paddling one. The NuCanoe paddles very much like a kayak with a double-bladed paddle. They just glide on the water and no effort to paddle. Another plus for the NuCanoe is that you cannot turn one over and it will not sink. Even full of water, you can still paddle it to shore.

2. If you view the NuCanoe Web Site and look at their Transportation Cart you will see that loading a NuCanoe onto the top of a vehicle using the Transportation Cart is rather easy for one person to do. Look for the video about the Transportation Cart and how it is used. I use the Transportation Cart to move my NuCanoe from my vehicle to the water and back and just slide it into the back of my Nissan truck. Once home, I use the cart to roll the NuCanoe into the building where it is stored. With the cart, I never have to pick up the entire boat. I just lift one end and the cart takes care of the other end. If I plan to use my NuCanoe on a river that I do not know, I will throw the Transportation Cart in the boat and if I run into a tree or something blocking the river, I use the cart to go on land around the obstacle. No lifting, carrying or dragging.

I am not an employee of NuCanoe and did not post this as an advertisement for them. I am just a very pleased owner of a 10' NuCanoe and have owned and used it for over 3 years. I submitted some things I would like to see and this shows that this company listens and have made some great improvements. I am very fond of any company that is "customer service" driven and Blake, at NuCanoe, is a great person to contact and talk to.
    Warren

The new Frontier looks like a great river boat. I like the changes they made to the new model. I agree w/ the poster above, 76# is a little heavy for a 12' canoe/hybrid. However, it should be a hit...except for the price. Over 1,000 bucks is too much, IMO. I currently am paddling a Old Town 119 solo canoe which has proven to be a fantastic ride, and I can buy 2 OT solo canoes for the price of one Frontier. Not to take away from the qualities of the new NuCanoe, as I'd like to have one, but not for that price.
    Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by DarrinG; 10-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    Mark 1:17

[QUOTE=WarrenP;433608] Another plus for the NuCanoe is that you cannot turn one over and it will not sink. [QUOTE]

Warren, it hasn't had the ultimate test yet. I have had canoes turn over when I walked past them on the shore.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread