+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feather Wing Streamer Hook Recommendations

Default Feather Wing Streamer Hook Recommendations

Just looking for recommendations for streamer hooks for patterns such as Rangeley style streamers and feather wing streamers in general. I would like to work in smaller sizes such as #8 thru #14. What should I be looking for as far as brand and size such as 6x or 8x. Feather wings are all new to me but look very interesting in there construction and as much as fishing them they look like they would be fun to ty. Thanks
    Last edited by texfly; 09-08-2011 at 10:04 PM.

As a new user of feather streamers be aware of what is considered an historic concern. The soft, supple feathers if tied to extend too far beyond the end of the hook will have a tendency to get wrapped aroubd the hook in front of the bend when cast instead of being trolled as in the Maine lakes as intended. I have not experienced this personally but have heard about it as hearsay information. The fix is said to be to tie in a little underwing of stiff bucktail before attaching the feathers. (Just my personal thoughts)
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 09-18-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks for the tip Ray. Any thoughts on the hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by texfly View Post
    Just looking for recommendations for streamer hooks for patterns such as Rangeley style streamers and feather wing streamers in general. I would like to work in smaller sizes such as #8 thru #14. What should I be looking for as far as brand and size such as 6x or 8x. Feather wings are all new to me but look very interesting in there construction and as much as fishing them they look like they would be fun to ty. Thanks
    Tex,
    My experience is very limited. However, since you point out that you favor the Rangely style and want to stay within a smaller size range, I'd say the Mustad 3665A may be the hook. Nice limmerick bend, comes in sizes you want, long enough and reasonably priced. Second alternative would be the Mustad 9575. Similar hook but with a looped eye.

Allan

Thanks Allan. I had been thinking the Mustad 3665A would be a good place to start.

Blog Entries

I have been tying Rangeley featherwing streamers for 40+ years. If you are looking for streamers to fish then the 4X or 6X is a great size. If you want to tie for pure enjoyment try the Mike Martinek "Carrie Steven's" 8X and 10X size 1 hooks made by Gaelic Supreme. Once you tie a few of these big flies for trolling or framing....you may never want to stop.

Blog Entries

I have been tying and using them for more than a short while... The tough-to-find Mustad 3907B is my favorite for looks and quite a bit stronger than the 3907A... but all of them will give you issues landing fish. I now tie most Carrie Stevens patterns in articulated form and hooked fish are far more likely to come to hand that way.

Here are a couple on 3907A Mustads... Using a stiff articulation thread like Fenwick "Iron Thread" will reduce hook tangling problems.

Sorry for the sizing on this picture, but photobucket will not let me fix it right now.
    art

Last edited by hap; 09-09-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: resizing

Very nice Hap. I can only hope to dress one so nice some day. Thanks for the advise.

Blog Entries

4x Daiichi 2271 would be good for casting. I like Daiichi 2340, it is a 6x long hook for streamers. Any of the others mentioned here would be good. Another TMC 300 is a good hook too. Those long Gaelic Supreme hooks are gorgeous, and I have one pack. But they are expensive to me. You wouldn't want to cast with those hooks, they are really for trolling I believe. I am just getting into the Rangeley style of tying some. The Mustad L87-3665A hooks are supposed to be very nice. I have not tried them yet, but want to.

+ Reply to Thread