+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great find from yesteryear

Professor,

So when WE goin in? LOL! Cool find! Probably too cold for snakes in there?? Yeah right!

Best regards, Snakestick Dave.

we seem to have an abundance of thsoe in our area. could have something to do with the very old homes here. some of them are freestanding over their spring while others are subterranian like the beautiful one in the picture. love the shot.

that one at a local public park.
    Last edited by juniatajim; 06-27-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    My boss told me that crossing me is like playing with DET cord.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dave View Post
    A Spring House is built over and around a natural spring, usually partially dug into the ground or a hillside. The results give you a nice dark and cool place to store things...sort of the original "walk-in" refrigerator.
    We have the remains of one out back on our property. It was once used to store milk from the old dairy farm. I think it's called a buttery.... something like that.
    Directly behind the house where there is now a stone floored patio, there was once a well-house with a "cool" storage compartment built into the in-ground stone walls.
    The house also has a root cellar and a "meat closet".
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

If you were to peek inside and find some graffiti chiseled in the stone that went something like, in Latin, " Piscatorius Sacrum", you've got a scoop ! What a great spot to talk tackle , tie flies and have a beer.

Something similar..Piscatoribus Sacrum - 'Sacred to Fishermen'. Walton and Cotton's hut on the Dove : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...3_17064574.jpg

Always considered prime real estate in my book.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Your photo is now my computers desktop photo.... Many more can be found on the Main Page of ever new edition of FAOL, also in the FAOL archives. ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

This is fascinating. Get yourself a flashlight, a sturdy stick (for "residents"), and go back and post photos of what you find! That's really an interesting picture!

Thanks for your post and picture. Wouldn't it be great if you were able to find out some of the history of that spring house? Did someone live near it, and are there other building foundations in the area? Just imagine all the work that went into building it.

I grew up a bit north of you (Warren County), and as a young kid spent many summer days fishing small brook trout streams in the Alleghenies, and from time to time I also came across "treasures" from a bygone era that had been lost and forgotten in the forest.

My great uncle, whom I lived with for a time in a log cabin, and I often walked some distance in the woods to where there was a spring where we got some of our drinking water. (I remember that my great aunt, who was born in the late 1800's, was even originally from Kersey, or somewhere closeby there.) Your picture brings back many fond memories. Thanks.

Man, if those stone walls could only talk what a story they could tell. Sure is amazing what folks could do with years ago and they did very well. Y'all take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gadabout View Post
    OK, so I grew up in Brooklyn and don't know what a spring-house is. Please enlighten.
    also to keep debris and animals out of your drinking water
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I'm always thankful to see something such as the spring house you posted has survied the ravages of time....and the destructiveness of vandals. There are a few left here in the Missouri Ozarks but they are rare. Thanks for posting the picture.

+ Reply to Thread