+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SWF outfit

Hybrid View

Question SWF outfit

Hi guys, I am going to Aitutaki for a few days in August, My good lady has said I can get a SWF outfit to take with me. So the question is, what outfits would you go for? The fishing is for Bonefish, bluefin trevally and maybe the odd cornet fish, I would like to be able to also use the outfit in the Salt water at home so a rod in the #8 or #9 range is about the right size and it needs to be around the $700 mark. I will just change the tropical line for a cold water one when I get home.
    Any brand considered, but would like to hear what brands you are using and how you like them, including Rods, Reels and lines.
    Thanks.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Mike,

My saltwater outfit consists of an 8/9 Cortland rod (can't remember the model) and a Cortland Precision XC reel. I have to say that it's one of the nicest reels I've had the pleasure to use. I was really impressed with the drag, butter smooth. I can't say I've caught any HUGE saltwater species with it, but I have caught a few that made that reel scream one thier runs. I've never had so much as a hiccup with it. I have also caught quite a few rather large salmon on it, again, without so much as a hiccup. You should be able to pick one up on ebay for around $200, and get an extra spool or two as well.
    My brother has a Tibor that is really nice, but I'm afraid it would be a bit out of your price range.
    As for rods, I'd probably suggest one of the TFO rods. I've got a "Professional" in 6wt that really casts well. I haven't played with any of the heavier weight rods, but if they are anything like the two I already own, you won't be dissapointed. Personally, I'm really happy with my Cortland 8/9. I've been using it for years and still enjoy fishing it as much as ever. For a rod I paid less than $100 for, I certainly have gotten my monies worth.
    A few years ago I borrowed my brothers Thomas and Thomas 8wt for a saltwater trip. That was a pretty nice rig too....I'm not being much help here am I? lol.

Hope some of this helps,

TT.

Considering the price you are looking at I would recommend the St Croix Legend Ultra paired with a Sci Angler System 2 10/11 reel. The rod could be either the 8wt or 10 wt and the reel will work for either line weight. Also you might consider the TFO TiCrX series but in the 7 to 9 wt class. The reason I suggest dropping a line weight of the TFO rods is due to the fact that they are faster than the St Croixs and I use the same lines on both makes for saltwater fishing and achieve the same distance and accuracy. For the TFO'sI use the rated Rio Outbound short lines yet on the St Croixs I drop down a line weight. Both rods load great with the 30 foot heads of the Rio lines and cast flawlessly. This is just my $.02 Ron

Thanks guys, the TFO Ticrx is one of the rods I am thinking of, interesting to hear about the line weight difference between the St Croix and the TFO.
    I know the Outbound lines are one of the best for distance, but how well do they cast close in?
    Please keep the info coming.
    All the best.
    Mike

The Outbound lines are not ideal for close in casting as they are designed for distance presentations, and they are definitely ideal for delicate presentations.

There are so many great options that will work well for intended purpose and within your budget.

The S.A System II reel the Rel mentioned is a dated design but a durable workhorse. I happen to have the 10/11 model and have used it on 8 through 10wt rods. They are virtually indestructible.

I really like all of the TFO rods for performance at a great price. TFO reels are also very good. The TFO Large Arbor reels are excellent for the $ and I know many people who have put them to the test on dorado, jacks, skipjack, bonito and other fish that will give a reel a workout. You could get a TFO rod (TiCrX, TiCr, Axiom, or BVK), TFO reel, and a couple of lines for around your targeted budget. Its hard to recommend a specific model without knowing your preferences because I think they are all good to great. The new BVK series is very lightweight and they are a joy to cast in my opinion. They give up some lifting strength but are excellent close in and at distance and I think work very well with the rated line at all distances, whereas many anglers are tempted to go up one line size on the other models, especially if they are doing a lot of short to medium distance casting. TFO has just announced a new light weight BVK reel. The new TFO BVK SLA III reel holds an 8wt line, 200yds of 20lb backing, weighs in at 5.2oz, and retails for $250USD. Looks promising but I haven't got my hands on one yet. They just added these to their website this week. I know several people who really like the 8wt TiCrX as an all round saltwater rod.

The new 4200 series reels from Sage provide exceptional performance and we have had a lot of good feed back on them. They have a sealed drag, but also, like the more expensive Sage reels, it has very will calibrated drag with marked values that always dials in the same amount of drag when the knob is turned to the same location. Most reels with this feature cost much more. All of the Sage reels are pretty good values. I have a Sage 1880 that I have used in fresh and saltwater and been happy with it. I use it right along side my Abel reels.

If you want an off the shelf package, the Sage Flight combos are excellent and come in 8 and 9wt packages for around $500USD. The Rio WF line that comes with the combo is fine for non-tropical fresh and saltwater fishing. I have an 8wt Sage FLi and really like it - its fairly light and smooth yet powerful. The Flight is a subtle improvement.

The Redington RS4 and CPX rods are also very good their price points and worth consideration as is both the Redington Rise and Redington Delta reels. For your application I would probably opt for the Redington Delta reel, being a bit more robust than the Rise.

Lots of good choices out there.

+ Reply to Thread