+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preventing shot from sliding on tippet ?

Shucks Steve, I probably got some worm weights in my old tackle box, but I own but rarely use split shot, that stuff hurts when it hits the back of your head and I don't have much padding back there. Which is one of the reason I wear a brimmed hat when flinging line.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Just make sure your casting is smooth too - I remember having the same trouble while fishing with somebody else who had no problem, it was clearly that they were just better casters than me.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Never liked those tungsten putty products. Never comes off the line cleanly, and too imprecise for replication. If you tie in a tippet section a reasonable distance above your fly (say 12-16"), you can crimp the split shot above the knot, and it will not slip. A simple overhand knot is a really bad idea, but a simple blood knot or double uni-knot works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Never liked those tungsten putty products. Never comes off the line cleanly, and too imprecise for replication. If you tie in a tippet section a reasonable distance above your fly (say 12-16"), you can crimp the split shot above the knot, and it will not slip. A simple overhand knot is a really bad idea, but a simple blood knot or double uni-knot works fine.
    whatfly-

I'm a big "to each his own" guy, especially in a sport like this where so many things can be subject to personal preference, but I will say that I experienced the same problems you did re. the putty not coming off the line cleanly, until I experimented with different brands. Not to make too long a story out of it, but I first tried and liked a brand years ago from a small company that went out of business. When I dropped and lost my container of the stuff in deep water in the river, I learned pretty quickly that most of the other brands on the market were not the same. They all were plagued by one or more problems: too much residue on the line and/or fingers, didn't stay in place on the line, hardened too much in cold water making removal or adjustment difficult, etc., etc. I don't have anything to do with the company, but the Tung Fu brand that I mentioned wound up being the best on all those and other attributes. In keeping with the "to each his own" mantra, stick with what you're doing if you want, but I just wanted to pass that on in case you still felt like you might want to try the putty again some time.
    Last edited by John_N; 04-24-2011 at 05:46 PM.

nighthawk Guest

Bear in mind that any knot you tie will reduce the strength of the tippet or leader.

For a "bad idea" a simple overhand knot works very well for me and it is fast as well as so simple to tie. To each his or her own but a uniknot or a blood knot adds more bulk that you may not want. No pun intended. That having been said I prefer bead heads and weighted flies with nothing on the line at all. However sometimes the fish want a different offering so the fish get what the fish want.

Thumbs down

Actually I don't, and never will use split shot as I value my rods quite highly. I even dislike large bead head fly's.
    I use a fluorocarbon furled leader (won't say which one is the best) and weighted flys. Learn the art of high sticking to get your fly deep.

Jack. May I ask what exactly is high sticking? Thanks from a newbie. Thanks kindly and have a smooth day.

Thanks all. I'm sure we all fish different types of streams, in different conditions, and with different methods. So adapting to one's conditions and, as has been mentioned, personal preference plays a key role in our choices.

So I've ordered some Tung Fu and will try the knot over the shot idea in cooler weather.

Blog Entries

My own technique to keep shot from sliding is to snap it off with the fly due to a bad back stroke.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I am going to find some of my snake river snot and post a photo of it ...

Be warned, It won't be pretty ........... but it works....
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 04-24-2011 at 10:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread