+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preventing shot from sliding on tippet ?

Hybrid View

Just make sure your casting is smooth too - I remember having the same trouble while fishing with somebody else who had no problem, it was clearly that they were just better casters than me.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Never liked those tungsten putty products. Never comes off the line cleanly, and too imprecise for replication. If you tie in a tippet section a reasonable distance above your fly (say 12-16"), you can crimp the split shot above the knot, and it will not slip. A simple overhand knot is a really bad idea, but a simple blood knot or double uni-knot works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Never liked those tungsten putty products. Never comes off the line cleanly, and too imprecise for replication. If you tie in a tippet section a reasonable distance above your fly (say 12-16"), you can crimp the split shot above the knot, and it will not slip. A simple overhand knot is a really bad idea, but a simple blood knot or double uni-knot works fine.
    whatfly-

I'm a big "to each his own" guy, especially in a sport like this where so many things can be subject to personal preference, but I will say that I experienced the same problems you did re. the putty not coming off the line cleanly, until I experimented with different brands. Not to make too long a story out of it, but I first tried and liked a brand years ago from a small company that went out of business. When I dropped and lost my container of the stuff in deep water in the river, I learned pretty quickly that most of the other brands on the market were not the same. They all were plagued by one or more problems: too much residue on the line and/or fingers, didn't stay in place on the line, hardened too much in cold water making removal or adjustment difficult, etc., etc. I don't have anything to do with the company, but the Tung Fu brand that I mentioned wound up being the best on all those and other attributes. In keeping with the "to each his own" mantra, stick with what you're doing if you want, but I just wanted to pass that on in case you still felt like you might want to try the putty again some time.
    Last edited by John_N; 04-24-2011 at 05:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread