+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me become a legend in my own mind.

Hybrid View

Default Please help me become a legend in my own mind.

The title is facetious. I have resisted for quite a while commenting on the Fly Tying section re. the change from a discussion of how to tie a fly or find a material to the dominant theme (IMHO) of 'Look at my wonderful fly'. Maybe I am whining, but I can't bite my tongue any longer.

Another site (now almost defunct) suffered the same fate just before the end. Personally, I am the Past President of a fishing club and have tied about 5,00 flies, so I know a few things about fly tying (not bragging, just saying). My list of 'must-have' flies contains 70 patterns. Like everyone else who ties I have 'invented' a few, and most of the patterns I tie have some modification from the original. However (and I guess this is the issue) they are MY attempts, and maybe I share them with my club friends for discussion, but I am not motivated to post them on the BB to say, "Look at ME".

Different strokes for different folks I know, and I don't have to open threads that I don't want to etc., but I just need to say that the free access to public (internet) recognition fatigues me when I see normal patterns being lauded because of web exposure, and some tier's self-importance.

PS. I didn't post this 'old codger' complaint on the Fly Tying board because I didn't want to upset anyone or confuse that board by looking like sour grapes.

Your views?
    Last edited by Greg H; 03-24-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: punctuation

Greg,

If you read through Donald Nicolson's thread, you'll find that a lot of FAOLer's are in agreement with you. Showing a picture of a fly you tied, along with the recipe and any fishing hints is a wonderful help to those starting out, have never tied or fished the fly before, or are just on a search for knowledge. Being a very talented tier, caster, water reader does nothing to help others along unless you pass on the information and techniques.

Post up some pics of your flies anytime and they'll be taken as what they are, an attempt to help everyone else out.

Just MHO of course.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

greg
    post away we love seeing flies others make up and ;learning if their good in our own waters. we are a family here trust me your not hijacking your contributing.

Greg,
    Please post! I would love to see them and try my hand at tying them. How else am I going to learn?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Greg,

I get it. It seems at times that the fly tying board is being used for a show with little tell type board, as most 'discussion' of a posted fly picture is more along of the lines of adulation than discussion.

I also try to refrain from posting fly pictures unless it's in answer to a question or an attempt to give someone ideas on some particular genre. I'll sometimes start a thread to 'show off' a certain fly if I believe the technique is unique or particularly worthy of discussion.

But I must admit that I do like to see the efforts of others. It can give me ideas on new techniques and suggest new tweakings to existing flies. Once in a while I see something truly unique (seldom a fly itself, most normally a technique or material), which I'll happily incorporate into my tying repretoire.

I wonder how many of the experienced tyers here have to fight the urge to offer 'constructive' critism on some of the flies that are posted. It's a fine line between telling someone their fly is awful and giving them the information to make it better. I've given up the effort entirely since I have a tendency to pomposity anyway, and I don't want to encourage it.

I must admit I have seen enough 'soft hackle' flies posted here to last my entire lifetime.......

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Um....I'm guilty as charged, to a certain degree.

I post pictures of things I tie for the same reason I look through the other peoples' posts in the Fly Tying section...to share and to learn. I know mine are far from perfect, so the point certainly isn't to "show off my skills", most people here are much better tyers than I. But sharing ideas is the main reason. They don't have to be original ideas. Each of us may see something interesting on another site, or in a book or magazine. Why not share it? Many times others post a picture of something they tied, and I may either like the entire fly, or at least a certain aspect of it that might be useful in some other pattern. It will spur me to tie something I may not have tied before, or haven't tied in some time. I get to see what is working for others.

So...I post often. Probably too much. Some folks may get something from it. Many may not. Nobody is forced to click on my posts.
    Share or don't. Your choice and mine.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I like looking at the flies posted. I have posted a few, mainly asking for feedback. Its a learning process for me, some of the more experienced tyers may be bored by the posts, but not me. I say post away!
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Greg,
    If you want to see a website in decline, a good way to accomplish that goal would be to start chasing away enthusiastic contributors by admonishing them for sharing their passion.

I think that you are confusing enthusiasm with ego.
    For instance, why do you feel the need to share your fly fishing resume with us to make a point about the enthusiastic pursuits of other tyers?
    Why not simply say what you have to say and let it stand on it's own merits. Possibly because you hold your own tying talents in high regard. As these other tyers do of their work.

I relish the enthusiasm that these other tyers wish to share and look forward to their contributions, whether they live up to your high standards or not.

It wasn't but a month or so ago that another well versed angler who has contributed much to this board had his head not so politely handed to him publicly for answering a question at great length and in detail.

The gist of it was that he'd gone into to great of detail for an answer directed to a novice. It seems strange that anyone would be admonished for going the extra mile, as it does when someone interrupts the flow of a thread by trying to disallow the reader to judge for themselves the validity of the posted contribution.
    That too started with the admonisher, posting their fly fishing resume to I suppose, add some credibility to their argument. The pendulum here does swing both ways.

How about this? We simply let folks share what they will and let each reader decide for themselves whether or not the contribution carries any worth.

Best, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 03-24-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hiya Greg ... Post 'em... pictures, I mean. If you want to. I like to see flies others have tied, and agree with the others on that.
    If there's something new, I start using the idea in my own flies. I been tying a long time, and usually make some kinda change in
    most every fly, rather than go out and get some specific material. I usually have something that will work in it's place, or at least does for me. I like to know what others used if it's something new, or that I haven't seen, but it's no trouble here to ask the poster about it.......

Oh, and by the way... If you need help becoming a legend in your own mind,,,,you're doing it wrong ....Modoc Dan

Definitely post pics...just make sure you include a 1000 word report here, or you'll be seen as a classless showboater and consequently crucified.

+ Reply to Thread