+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dear Ones

Hybrid View

Default Dear Ones

Last evening I received this message, pertaining to a post I had made. I most sincerely apologize to any and all who were repulsed by my reporting on a news paper article on this site. I requested the post be deleted, and thank the Moderator for doing so.

"This thread is problematic. There is undoubtedly a sad story behind this unidentified person's suicide. It is pathethic that this story was brought to the BB. Some of the posts are appalling. The thread is a disservice to the members of the BB and a discredit to the FAOL site. I urge the owner and administrators to remove the thread and would like to see some explanation why that was done."

Just wanted to be up front with you, whether the thread is pulled or not. If it isn't, I guess I will have to make another decision."

In all my years here, I've never been accused of pathos, being a disservice to the Board, and a discredit to the FAOL site. And then have the Administration called out for not condemning me quickly.

Again, I am sorry.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

No need to apologize to me. Forgiveness is the greatest medicine. We're human and make mistakes sometimes. If we were perfect we'd be called by a different name. Don't you dare go away. It would be a sad day at FAOL and a sad day for me if you did.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I'm not planning on going anywhere, any time soon. It would have been nice, after all the time I've been here, to have a message sent to me BEFORE reporting it to the Administration for rebuke. The note I cut and pasted is what was sent to the Admin., then copied to me. Had I known people were so upset by my post, I would have requested the post be removed, sooner rather than later. And, I certainly don't like the veiled threat in the final line of the message.
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 12-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Betty, I read the post then chose not to follow up and read more. each of us has the choice to read or not. each of us has the ability not to click on a link. Don't beat yourself up all of us have done things we wish we hadn't after we did them. Your years of contribution to this board speak for them selves keep being you, and I will keep reading your posts.

Eric

Some people are way to sensitive and have way too much time on their hands. I read the post, wasn't something I found interesting so I didn't re-click on it again, that simple. Just like Eric-WD said no one is forced to read anything they don't want too. If it's not something you care to read then don't. Some people are too bored and will complain about anything.

betty is fully capable to defend herself. she's a fine person and her post here proves that fact. what is wrong about the this thread is for anyone to criticize sensitivity.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

I don't post much, but I've read an untold number of Betty Hiner posts over the past few years. The vast bulk of your posts compared to the post in question makes clear that this was at worst an innocent error in judgment, and one that you have tried to correct. I doubt most folks, myself included, could claim to have done better over the years. Thanks for speaking up and taking the heat. I look forward to the next 4338 Betty Hiner posts.
    Last edited by PA Dave; 12-11-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Bass_Bug Guest

What that person should read, is the first amendment of Article 19 of the United States Constitution since this does happen to be a U.S. site. Good lord if I complained about every offensive story or remark F*X News reported they would be off the air. That's why I don't watch that particular media outlet for news. I exercise my right to choose what I watch and read.

I feel bad for the family's left behind in situations like that, but when one makes a choice like that in public, it's going to be in the media.

Betty, you should feel privileged that you had the choice to have the thread removed in the first place.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 12-14-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I have 6 wonderful step kids whose father committed suicide. I witnessed the pain they went through on a daily basis for the last 25 years. However, when I started hearing, "You can't tell me what to do! You're not my real dad!", I had to reply, "No, I'm not but I am the closest thing you've got. You real dad bailed out on you."

Some might think this was horribly cruel but it helped them see the truth of the matter. Now, we can be a family and still recognize that they miss and love their dad. They now put the blame where it belongs, on their dad bit understand that it is still OK to grieve for him.

So, if the offende party has been unfortunate eniugh to loose a loved one to suicide, you have my sympathy. However, you need to quit taking your pain out on good folks like Betty and put the blame for how you feel where it belongs.

If I have offended any of you good people, please notice that there are no Constitutional protections against being offended.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I have 6 wonderful step kids whose father committed suicide. I witnessed the pain they went through on a daily basis for the last 25 years. However, when I started hearing, "You can't tell me what to do! You're not my real dad!", I had to reply, "No, I'm not but I am the closest thing you've got. You real dad bailed out on you."

Some might think this was horribly cruel but it helped them see the truth of the matter. Now, we can be a family and still recognize that they miss and love their dad. They now put the blame where it belongs, on their dad bit understand that it is still OK to grieve for him.

So, if the offende party has been unfortunate eniugh to loose a loved one to suicide, you have my sympathy. However, you need to quit taking your pain out on good folks like Betty and put the blame for how you feel where it belongs.

If I have offended any of you good people, please notice that there are no Constitutional protections against being offended.
    Well said! I will also add that had they done the respectful thing and PM'd Betty they would have found out that they had gained a great friend, heck probably still would. I did not get to read the article but my reaction would have been to bend a knee in prayer to the Lord for the loved ones affected by this most selfish act called suicide and not to belittle Betty but rather thank her for showing me someone in need of prayer.

+ Reply to Thread