+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: back ache

A good lifting belt worn properly under your wader would probably help, as long as you just wear it occasionally it will not weaken the tummy muscles. Of course doing a few crunchs everyday helps along that line also. In addition look at some good insoles in the shoes. My hiker friend recently recommended I go to REI and get insoles for my walking shoes and Wallyworld has the new Dr. Scholl machines to tell you what kind of insoles you need. You will drop a little over $40 either way.

I have a 30 min. routine I do for my back about 5 days per week. It has really helped me keep from having the back pains I used to suffer. Of course, losing 20 ugly pounds would help, but I refuse to cut off my head.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    A good lifting belt worn properly under your wader would probably help, as long as you just wear it occasionally it will not weaken the tummy muscles. Of course doing a few crunchs everyday helps along that line also. In addition look at some good insoles in the shoes. My hiker friend recently recommended I go to REI and get insoles for my walking shoes and Wallyworld has the new Dr. Scholl machines to tell you what kind of insoles you need. You will drop a little over $40 either way.

I have a 30 min. routine I do for my back about 5 days per week. It has really helped me keep from having the back pains I used to suffer. Of course, losing 20 ugly pounds would help, but I refuse to cut off my head.

Can you send me your routine, I have OA in my lower back and have been looking for a good routine, to try..

My wife calls me a fat headed old geezer, SO I WOULD LOSE ABOUT 30...
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

The Hodgeman belt fishdog54 put the link up for is the one my friend uses. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

There's a couple out there, but the ones that stuck out, to me, when I was hunting for the same thing were the Simms Backsaver and the Fish Pond something-or-another.

Simms has two, there's a thinner one and a wider one. The wider one could pass for a weight lifting style belt, and it looked tremendously helpful, but I was simply too fat for it.

The thinner model and the Fish Pond were about the same thickness, however it was my fattitude that sold me on the Fishpond, being the only one that would cleanly fit around me, waders, and other junk. It wasn't the cheapest, but its gotten me wearing a wading belt at all times, and its helped out my back pain immensesly, plus provided some convienent points to hang stuff (staff, net, flask, etc).

The Fish Pond was available both with and without some accroutements. I bought the model without, and in hindsight, wish I'd dropped the extra $20 or so for the extra pieces for when I want to strip down the amount of junk I carry.

Of course, the best thing I could do was to lose the first 30#. That took me from being able to fish abotu 2 hours at a clip to being able to go all day... The next 120# I've dropped hasn't had the same impact as that first 30#, either. A little really went a long way there.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishfairwx View Post

Can you send me your routine, I have OA in my lower back and have been looking for a good routine, to try..

My wife calls me a fat headed old geezer, SO I WOULD LOSE ABOUT 30...
    PM sent about request.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I had the same problem for the first few years I was fishing. I've talked to the guys who where using the back support belts and some said the like them. ...the big BUT... I had concerns ...and I tend to agree strongly with flyfishfairwx. I had back surgery at 19 year of age for a ruptured disk and the doc back then told me that back braces are for the very short term fix but that in general they are not good for you and weaken your core muscles etc which will only make things worse in the long run. So with that still ringing in my ears, I avoided running out to get one for fly fishing.

What I have found over time, is that good arch support is absolutely key. I use orthotics in my waders (as well as in my regular foot wear). I had costume made orthotics for 20 years. Last year I went out and bought those Dr. Scholls Custom Fit Othotics ($45). They worked better for me than my most recent $600 computerized prescriptions did. So give them a look. http://www.footmapping.com/footmappi...page_learnmore They have them at Meijers, CVS, Walmart and other places...here is a map site for finding a store store near you.
    Store Locator

The Second back killer is standing in one place. MOVE!!! Bend, march in place...but move. Walking works best for me. Also check yourself for how tense you are. Taking a deep breath and relaxing all your muscles periodically helps too. If that doesn't help, stop fishing for a while and go for a walk, have a break, sit down and eat lunch then walk before heading back to the water. etc.

Other things you can do when not fishing...loose weight, work your core muscles, particularly your abdominals and go for walks daily. It all helps.

Steelhead / Salmon fishing is the worst because of the dynamics...usually elbow to elbow anglers trying to hold on tight to their spot on the river. Your lucky if you have a friend or two fishing with you that can hold your spot while you walk off your back pain...take turns. But if your alone...it does get to be tough holding your favorite spot. That's where a small stool or a log etc help. Marching in place, bending, squatting, sitting, standing with one foot higher than the other and switching...all help to some degree. ...and Ibuprofin ...
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 10-15-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Everybody is different ---I agree with Deb above and also that braces can weaken your core over time---i've suffered from backpain for 45 yrs....This year i bought a Tempurpedic mattress and it has made a MAJOR improvement in my degree and intensity of pain in the low back. I never thought id see an improvement at my age with something that i could buy.

Shorthaul
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Thanks All,
    Simms makes the one for me, Simms back magic wading belt

The wider one could pass for a weight lifting style belt, and it looked tremendously helpfu
    I use this belt and it does work well. I have two lumbar herniations (L5, is pretty much bone on bone) and it does give a good amount of support.

The Second back killer is standing in one place. MOVE!!!
    That is soooo true. My back hurts far less after a day of walking the stream, then standing for any given time. I think i'll give those orthotics a try. I wasn't sure if they worked or not.

I'm guessing you were fishing the SR? That will kill anyones back! lol.

This may sound silly, but it could be your vest (I'm assuming you wear one).

My first couple of years fishing, I had terrible backaches at the end of the day - just horrible. I switched to a fanny pack and haven't had one since.

Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread