+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advise - what fins for float tube?

Hybrid View

tlerm,

I have several Caddis tubes. The pump that is in the first picture will work just fine. I have that pump. If you check the diameter of the pump's hose with the diameter of the valves on the tube they will be the same. Go to a hardware store and buy some clear plastic tubing with the same inside diameter. Put one end of a 4 inch piece on the valve and the other on the hose and you're good to go. The tubing is cheap. Any questions let me know. Have to second the PFD and the force fins. I have a pair of neoprene booties that I wear float tubing that work great. Really didn't like the feel of wading boots while tubing. Good luck.

Beaver

Years ago I had a tube with the tire type valves...bought an adapter so I could use the type of pump you pictured...so if you have the tire type valve you should be able to find an adapter.

I have 3 inflatables from different companies. I agree that the pump will work fine but that the nozzle is the concern. Most pumps come with three nozzles and one should fit. You can buy others at Cabela's, Bass Pro, Canadian Tire (Canada) - or where water toys are sold. I also agree (and use) a few inches of clear plastic tubing to connect the pumps to the valves.

If you are packing your tube in, then the hand pump is useful, but if you are inflating near the car, one that plugs into the dash is great - and you can do other stuff while the tube inflates.
    On my tube that has car-tire style valves, I use a narrower tube connected to the narrower nozzle. To make life easier I just removed the valve stem, and bought some plastic (nylon) valve caps. Air goes in faster without the stem in the way, and a tight cap does not leak air.

I use the Creek Company fins and bought a second pair of waders (stocking-foot) for them. I also agree with the booties -–whether you wear them with the fins or not, they are great for walking to the water (carrying you stuff), when you are concerned about your neoprene feet.

I know you said you can't afford the Force Fins, but if you (or anyone else) eventually want to get a great pair of fins, Flip Fins are probably the best I've used. Been float tubing and kickboating for 20 years now and started out with some old Brownings. I've had the Outcast Step In Fins (not with Outcast's name on them) Still have the backpacking type- shown as the Creek Company lightweights in your post, Turtle Fins and the adjustable Force fins. Out of all these the FF were the best. Then this year I got the Flip Fins for my birthday. After the first time in the water, I sold the Force Fin's immediately. Whether fishing from a tube or 'toon these fins excel. They're wider and longer, easier to adjust and lighter weight. $160 from Northfork Outdoors. Another plus is you can walk in them and they're less expensive than Force Fins.

Well, I checked the air valves on my tube this weekend, and they are not the tire type valve, so that is good. The valve looked like it should work with an adapter with most any pump. I'll probably take one of the bladders with me when I buy the pump. Unfortunately, it may be a week or two before I can get to the store.
    Tim

Normand Guest

post a picture of the valve and maybe we can save you some time.

is it a boston valve?

boston_v.jpg

or a halkey roberts valve

hr_valve_yellow.jpg

you may need an adapter for the halkey roberts

0667-AD.jpg

then you can use the pump that is mentioned in a previous post
    Last edited by Normand; 10-12-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    post a picture of the valve and maybe we can save you some time.
    That is such obvious thing to do... that I didn't think of it. Doh! Thanks for the idea, I will take a pic tonight and post it.

BTW, it is not any of the valve types you showed, but it is also not a tire valve stem type.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    tlerm,

I have several Caddis tubes. The pump that is in the first picture will work just fine. I have that pump. If you check the diameter of the pump's hose with the diameter of the valves on the tube they will be the same. Go to a hardware store and buy some clear plastic tubing with the same inside diameter. Put one end of a 4 inch piece on the valve and the other on the hose and you're good to go. The tubing is cheap. Any questions let me know. Have to second the PFD and the force fins. I have a pair of neoprene booties that I wear float tubing that work great. Really didn't like the feel of wading boots while tubing. Good luck.

Beaver
    Hey, that plastic tubing idea may just be the ticket. I think that might work. That would sure make for a cheap and expendable adapter.

Like I said before, I just need to find some time to take the dang thing with me to the store, and I might answer the question right away.
    Tim

Just for the record...you don't need a special adapter for the Halkey Roberts...a piece of garden hose works just fine.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Just for the record...you don't need a special adapter for the Halkey Roberts...a piece of garden hose works just fine.

seems to me that the "hose" = "adapter"??

the madison pontoon boat made by classic accessories years ago was equipped with the "boston valve" and was also supplied with a short length of clear tubing "adapter" to properly use the double action hand pump shown in the first post.

the odc super sport by the creek company also was equipped with the same valve and clear tubing "adapter"

i currently have outcast super fat cat float tube that is equipped with the summit 2 valve and the "adapter" similar to the one shown in my previous post.

as long as i dont lose the "adapter" that came with my float tube i wont have to go crazy trying to find a 3-4 inch long of god only knows what diameter of garden hose to use as an "adapter"
    Last edited by Normand; 10-12-2010 at 04:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread