+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little bit off topic

Hybrid View

Default A little bit off topic

I know this is a little bit off topic but i figured i might get some opinions. I am looking to get a bird dog for upland birds. I am looking at pointing labs because i love labs but what are your opinions on bird dogs?
    CD

Not sure what you want in a dog. Setter, Pointer, Flusher or Retriever? I know from experience that a Vizsla can do it all.

http://www.google.com/images?q=vizsl...w=1440&bih=702
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

cdpaul,
    I have no doubt that there are dogs that have proven themselves excellent uplanders in just about all the hunting breeds. I have German Short-haired pointers, which will hunt anything you allow them to by law. My dogs will go from a field situation (pheasants/quail/doves) to a woods situation(grouse/woodcock) without skipping a beat. Many times I have had pheasants resort to hiding in the woods. These dogs Will root them out. Last year I got a turkey ( target of opportunity) out of a flock they had pointed in a thick corn field. Even though they have short coats I hunt them into February with no ill effects and I do not put any kind of vest on them either. They are big running dogs that can also slow down to work the coverts. They have shown plenty of interest in waterfowl also (sometimes too much when I'm hunting grouse close to streams!). I always thought that when I finally got around to getting a bird dog that I would get a Brittany Spaniel, but as fate would have it I got my two GSPs instead. I don't regret it. They are good family dogs as well. Mine love all the neighborhood kids. My 2 GSPs are 4yrs old, males and litter mates, also not neutered. I added that to let you know that they don't seem to have any territorial issues with each other - which is good! I have pictures but I need to get them off my cell phone!!!! BTW, they also retrieve. Best regards, Dave S.
    Last edited by fishdog54; 09-26-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Add a thought - now my brain hurts!LOL!

My grandpa has a vizla, i love hunting with it but only get to a few times a year because of the distance away and sports. I was looking a a brittany spaniel at one point too. Never thought of the german short haired pointer. Thanks

Brittanies are great critters. There's no doubt. But, you have to take really good care of their long coats. Short hairs are a lot easier to care for. Just my 2 cents.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

My Brittany is the best dog I've ever owned. Always ready to hunt and always reluctant to come out of the field. And, they're called the "4 wheel drive dog" because they can take any sort of terrain or water.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

This is all good information and all the choices here are great. What ever you choose, let them know who's boss and love them to pieces. I promise, they will be your best friend for a long time.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Whatever breed you choose look for a breeder who raises dogs that like to work close. Thoss field trial champions that cover so much ground are useless in a grouse covert. Part of that is training but a good part of it is breeding too. Talk to hunters who have dogs you like and ask where they got them and how dificult were they to train. A really stubborn hardheaded dog is not what you want for your first attemp to train a hunting dog unless you can afford a professional trainer. You want a dog who will look to you and want to be working were he can see you. Of course, after I write this my dog will be half a mile out front tommorow.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

any dog has the potential to be a good dog. i have a lab that is a fantastic upland hunter, i taught him to be a semi-pointing lab, i still prefer flushers. the main point, pun intended, is to get help training the dog if you have not done it before. it will make the difference of having a great day in the field or a frustrating day. i've been on both side of that one. my first field dog as a setter, he was from field trial stock and was a hardheaded, big running dog, great for field trials but not so good for grouse. so know your breed stock and get a pro to help you at first.

I would have to vote for the Brittney. Most are much smaller than most Labs but work every bit as hard and will cover as much ground at the end of the day. I have had 4 of them with the last 2 living in the house with us full time, that includes the cars, truck, and camper. I don't know what kind of upland hunting you will be doing, but mine have hunted pheasants and quail and some woodcock, with enthusiasm and endurance beyond my own. They adapt to family living and sometimes you will swear that they can talk to you and understand what you are feeling even with out words. My current dog is around 13 or 14 years old, but I am not sure, because he came from a shelter here, and has been the best dog I have every had and it is very hard for both of us to see him having difficulties aging. Every one has their own favorites but those who advocate the Britts are hard to convince otherwise for a reason.

+ Reply to Thread