+ Reply to Thread

Thread: furled/twisted fluro Seaguar leader material?

Hybrid View

Default furled/twisted fluro Seaguar leader material?

I have been twisting fluro leaders out of Seaguar gmax leader material - I see Cabelas has the spools of Seaguar carbon pro and inisezx on sale - anyone try these instead of the more expensive stuff? Or use it for tippet material - cost savings is $$$$

2. Default

I use 12 lb invizx for tippet when fishing for redfish and bones. I haven't noticed any problems with durability and knot strength.

I can't comment as to furling but fishing line is always thinker for a given breaking strength than tippet material. For example Carbon Pro 4lb test is .007 in diameter while Grand Max .007 is 7lb test.

If diameter doesn't matter with the fishing you do, fishing line is always a cheaper tippet option.

I use Seagar tippet material exclusively for my tippets however I do not use it for furled leaders...just too expensive. I'd be curious as to why you use the Gmax for furling?

I've never furled leaders with it but it's great stuff. It's my number one choice for bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I use Seagar tippet material exclusively for my tippets however I do not use it for furled leaders...just too expensive. I'd be curious as to why you use the Gmax for furling?
    I have the tippet material available, I am thinking the same as you, its too expensive. If I bought the alternative line to use to make leaders would it work as well. What do you use for FC leader material, or maybe you make nylon or thread leaders and use FC tippet only?

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    I have the tippet material available, I am thinking the same as you, its too expensive. If I bought the alternative line to use to make leaders would it work as well. What do you use for FC leader material, or maybe you make nylon or thread leaders and use FC tippet only?
    Almost all my fishing now is stillwater. I use FC almost all the time for leader and tippet. I use Berkley Vanish and Berkley Transition...also Berkley Trilene Pro Grade furls very nicely.
    If I remember correctly the Seagar line is a little more in cost than these but don't remember for sure and I don't remember if it comes in the 2# and 4# which is what I use.

+ Reply to Thread